Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Diet and Suggie (Monkey) Smell
Food, Diet
Oct 29 2014
02:01:55 PM
Hi all! We call or SGs monkeys, so that's why the subject says it!

We got our two, Shae and Tyrion, in April of this year from that place that shall remain nameless.

Part of their 'scare' tactics is to convince you not to feed them anything but what they sell. I've learned better, but I have a question about insects and other natural proteins...

The other place says that feeding them such will alter they BO. As of now, on the pellet/gravy diet dictated by the other place, our two have no BO, at all. But reading things recently, apparently a lot of people feed theirs insects, chicken, eggs, etc.

So, does feeding them these things alter their BO?

Thanks!!
T-

Food, Diet
Oct 29 2014
03:14:28 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
When you say "BO" are you referring to scent other than their urine?

Is your male neutered? This cuts down quite a bit on the pungent male scent markings, but not entirely. Females also scent mark.

As with all of us, our eliminations smell is dictated by what we eat. A funny story comes to mind of a kindergarten teacher who hated returning to her classroom the day after Easter! Some things in a very healthy diet will have an effect on the strength of their urine smell. None of this would deter me from feeding a healthy diet. Rinsing their drop pans takes care of this for the most part between routine entire cage cleanings.

Insects and other natural proteins are a part of their natural diet. As exotics, their digestive systems are not adapted to any sort of pellet or overly processed "convenient" food.

My girls, as all healthy gliders, are very good at keeping themselves groomed. They have no "BO" to speak of when they are out of the cage and using me as a human tree. Their drop pan, on the other hand, is something I wash out daily.
Food, Diet
Oct 29 2014
03:32:57 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I think BO or B.O. rather,means body odor Mine get a variety of proteins, chicken n apple meatballs, headless super worms ( they bite ), eggs, chicken, turkey, salmon( their fav!), shrimp(now n then), veg and egg "pancakes" even a clam once in a while.

Even though I give them a pretty wide range of proteins it is not an every day thing. . The protein is not a huge portion compared to their regular meal,they also get their normal staple and vegs/fruits with it.

I also remember reading somewhere if they ate a high protein diet their odor or scent may become stronger but I think those portions were bigger and an everyday thing.

I've never noticed a difference in my critters smell.

Edited by - Leela on Oct 29 2014 03:36:24 PM
Food, Diet
Oct 29 2014
04:10:38 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
My two girls also came from PP. I have had my girls 3 years now and they are healthy and happy, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. I was also told that live food (mealworms) would make them smelly. Since coming across this site I have been slowly making changes to how I care for my gliders. Safer wheels, better diet and I have just unplugged my heat rocks. So, I have been thinking about mealworms too.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders