Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How do I get my sugar glider interested in playtime?
Question
Nov 02 2014
09:35:52 PM
Hi, my sugar glider enjoys running around or just laying with me in his pouch but he doesnt seem interested in playing. I have bought a feather toy and he ignored it. The only thing I have seen him play with is the strings on his pouch. Is there anything I can do to make him want to play? I hate for him to never have some fun!
Question
Nov 02 2014
09:38:23 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
I don't think the intention is to get the glider to play with the human. I think play time is just to let them run around, jump on you, climb, and explore. Be active and do whatever their little hearts want to. Having a glider playmate really helps. If you're worried that your glider isn't active enough during playtime, it may be because of lights. Even a tiny amount of light can make gliders inactive. Some glider will not even come out of the pouch, or will just stand in one place with so much as a book light or night light. If you replace the light bulb in the play room with a red one, that is great because you can see them but they cannot see red light, so they think it's dark.
Question
Nov 02 2014
09:54:45 PM
Ralph-n-Todd Joey 12 Posts
He doesnt seem to be bothered by light and he runs around just fine he even loves to get into everything he shouldn't but I just wanted to make sure that-that was satisfying for them or if they needed more activity.
Question
Nov 03 2014
03:49:51 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Sounds like that is plenty of activity!

I thought my gliders would love having a lot of options for toys and loaded up on them at thrift stores, etc. Not that some gliders don't like all sorts of things, but mine are only interested in their more natural pursuits...climbing as high as possible, surveying their surroundings and spotting their perfect landing pads! Still plenty of fun. After each good glide they will jump back over to my shoulder like a toddler saying "Did you see???"
Question
Nov 04 2014
11:06:57 PM
Ralph-n-Todd Joey 12 Posts
He enjoys playing hide and seek mostly lol. He goes in the closet and hides in the clothes and enjoys the chase when im trying to put him up.
Question
Nov 05 2014
07:00:57 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Go to sleep, That's how I get mine interested in playing I just go to sleep. Then about 3 am they decide it's play time! That's right, it's time for barking and Leela playin darts! yep sugar glider darts!

Dart up one side of me, pause....so i think i can pick her up an put her away...HAAHAHAA yeh you'r slow as hell at 3 am ! then dart to where I can't reach her on my back! Dart back to the front let me pet her annnnnnd repeat......
Pine nuts? mmm snatch n Dart to the back nice try though! lol ...

Simon smells the Pine nuts ( I swear they planned this tactical distraction) so I reach in to give Simon one n he puts both front feet on my hand so Leela can jump and hide behind the suitcase just out of reach!! Sighs now I'm glued to one spot cause Simon hardly ever volunteers to get on my hand n there's no way in hell i can keep up with both of them if he comes out too. Lured Leela back with another pine nut n got them both back in their cage. n now I'm wide awake at 4 AM again!

This was how I got them to play the last 2 days, It works like a charm!! I now suffer from Glidersomnia and can't go back to sleep, if I try to they Reset themselves and the barking and dart game begins again lol

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders