Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Switching to BML
Switching to BML
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
04:24:16 PM
So I am currently switching to BML and want to be sure of a few things before I feed him it for the first time tonight.

Are corn, peas carrots and green bean the only veggies allowed or are there others low in Calcium that he can have also?
Same for the fruits.. *apples, melons, grapes, cherries, blueberries*

Not that he will mind lol, they are his favorite either way!

Also wondering about superworms? ...I just picked up 500 last week. I find some sights that don't list them in the diet requirements and I have read a few that say to give them some in the mornings? I am just wondering if I should find a new home for the worms or follow the ones that say to feed them in the morning.

Thanks everyone! :)
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
04:48:03 PM
lfr899 Glider Visit lfr899's Photo Album USA 58 Posts
I peel all fruit and cut into tiny pieces, my kids love corn, but I have to peel the peas, keep the carrots raw and shredded and cut green beans into tiny pieces as well. Sweet potatoes, raspberries ,strawberries,star fruit, raw almond slivers are good too.Mine get shredded unseasoned chicken, scrabbled or hard boiled eggs, mine will even eat shrimp from time to time. As for the meal worms the super freak my kids out so I buy giant and feed 2 to 3 times a week..just one or two each, I also have a hedge hog and she does well with the giant as well. There are always pellets in the cage and they get treats like yogurt and homemade granola ...my oldest is almost 11......hope this helps..mine are super picky, so i give worms, yogurt and granola in the morning..it's a lot of work but I love it!
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
05:15:52 PM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
Thanks but I think you misread my post, I am referring to the specific BML diet. I don't want to sound harsh but I just lost one from a diet similar to yours so I am switching to the BML tonight so no one else gets sick :(
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
05:27:57 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
This is what I have for the BML:

www.angelfire.com/nb/sugarglider/leadbeat.html

She says, and I quote:

"The fruits and veggies can be of what ever variety you wish, there are times when gliders may like one thing one day and not the next, and vice versa, so don't think they don't like something just because they didn't eat it, the one time you offered it. The things to avoid with the fruits are pits, Do NOT feed the pits or seeds of apples, cherry, peaches etc.. You can use fresh or frozen, but do NOT used canned."

You may have this link instead, which I think is a little older:

www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html

In this one, she mentions apples, melons, grapes, cherries, blueberries, orn, peas carrots and green beans, as an example. You can see that she writes etc, etc, etc after listing some examples of fruits and veggies.

Insects are part of the daily supplies for this diets, and these are the recommended amounts she listst:

"As for insects, the insects should always be part of their diet. Depending on what you feed, and what size. I feed 3-4 Large (jumbo) mealies per day (not superworms) small 8-10, medium 5-7, Large or jumbo 3-4, superworms 1-2."

I think you can keep the superworms as long as they eat, some gliders are very picky, but I haven't really met one that did not like mealworms.

Anyways, I hope you find this helpful.
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
05:40:57 PM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
Thank you! I did read both which was what was confusing me.. I don't want to overdo the calcium in other fruits and veggies.. mine is obsessed with cucumbers, figs, papaya, mangos.. it would be nice to still be able to feed them as occasional treats but I want to be as careful as possible so the same that Loki doesn't end up with MBD also :(
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
06:33:23 PM
lfr899 Glider Visit lfr899's Photo Album USA 58 Posts
It's all good I'm so sorry if I upset u....your on the right site for info and my diet may not be the best for you but after 13 years mine , I found what works for means I use a bmi mix and pellets and it works for me....good luck, and glider love
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
07:59:29 PM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
I also just ran into another problem.. not sure if its being in canada or what the deal is but could only find the chicken and broth/gravy baby food in 3.5 oz jars. we dont have any jars smaller than that but i will get on google and convert some measurements.

also, i tend to eat/drink fairly healthy myself and only organic.. i had some natural pineapple/guava/passionfruit juice with real fruit puree and apple juice in the fridge already, would this be ok to add to the yogurt as the gerber drink substitute?
Food, Diet
Nov 05 2014
10:56:06 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The second web page for BML shown above is the MORE CURRENT of the two.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/sugargliders/bml/leadbeat.html

Unfortunately, Bourbon does not have access to either of these web pages so she could not take down the older page and cannot revise the newer one either.

You do need to stick to only the mixed vegetables (corn, peas, green beans and carrots) and the short list of fruits allowed with this feeding plan (apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew melon, frozen pitted cherries and blueberries) because of the amount of calcium called for in the recipe.

If you cannot find the 2.5 oz jars of plain baby food chicken - you can measure out the correct amount from the larger jar. Each 2.5 oz jar is 5 TBS of the chicken puree.

Food, Diet
Nov 06 2014
10:01:34 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I would never contradict you Candy. I just want to make sure my own head is on straight this morning.

I have a 2.5 oz jar that I bought yesterday. Are you sure you didn't mean 5 teaspoons instead of tablespoons?
Food, Diet
Nov 06 2014
11:08:23 AM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
It would definitely have to be TBSP ...2 TBSP is 1/8th of a cup and one of my 3.5 oz jars is less than 1/2 a cup. 5 oz (the total called for the recipe) is 1/2 cup + 1/8 so it works out to be 10 TBSP (8 + 2)
Food, Diet
Nov 06 2014
11:09:46 AM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
PS - Loki had his first go of bml last night and LOVED it. He was attacking the spoon as I was putting it in his dish. He ate it all and barely touched his fruit/veggie so should I give a little less bml tonight and see if he eats the veggies then?
Food, Diet
Nov 06 2014
12:04:09 PM
I think maybe I need to get some more accurate measuring spoons! I've got this fancy set that my husband gave me...but maybe they're more eye candy than accurate!

Wait...no...I just looked up a conversion:

1 Tablespoon [US] = 0.5 Ounces [Fluid, US]
1 Tablespoon [UK] = 0.625 Ounces [UK]

1 Ounce [Fluid, US] = 6 Teaspoons [US]
1 Ounce [Fluid, UK] = 4.8 Teaspoons [UK]

I'm totally missing something here! Someone help my brain.
Food, Diet
Nov 06 2014
12:07:11 PM
Doh! Never mind. I worked it over again and came up with 5 tbs.

You wouldn't know I'm in accounting sometimes. And yes...I drive my boss nuts.
Food, Diet
Nov 06 2014
12:28:19 PM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
All good lol! I would have never figured it out without good ol Google!
Information
Nov 06 2014
03:20:14 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
OK kids - this is the ALGEBRA you swore you would NEVER use.

quote:
1 TBS = 0.5 Ounces = 3 teaspoons
1 Ounce = 6 Teaspoons = 2 TBS

1 TBS = 3 teaspoons = 0.5 ounce
2 TBS = 6 teaspoons = 1 ounce

2.5 oz x (1 TBS / 0.5 oz) = 5 TBS

Food, Diet
Nov 08 2014
12:09:39 PM
mlowxo Joey 18 Posts
so Im having issues getting him to eat his fruits and veggies. He had maybe a couple nibbles of apple last night and so far wont touch green beans or peas. Im going to try carrots and corn next but Im not sure if its the stress or what, he wouldnt even touch canteloupe the night before and thats ODD for him. hoping tonight gets better, he still likes the bml mix though Im just worried hes really not eating enough :(
Switching to BML

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Switching to BML