GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Traveling with Sugar Gliders
Question
Nov 09 2014
02:56:41 PM
Hello everyone!

It's that time of year again and I'm planning on driving home for the holidays. I've only had my boys for about 5 months and have never really traveled with them. I got myself a carrier at PetsMart because they hate bonding pouches... especially George. He bit a hole in the mesh netting large enough to poke his head through and I found out the hard way this he is very adept with zippers. So needless to say I'm a bit worried. What do you guys with your babies when you travel with them? And do you have any tips or tricks on keeping them calm?

Thanks!
Question
Nov 10 2014
08:07:38 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, usually I travel during the day, while they sleep, and put them in the carrier with some juicy fruits. But mine travel fairly well, they just sleep all day without waking up.

My male, Loki, is like your George in that he is very adept with zippers, but he has never been able to open the carrier's zipper; I think it is because it is too big for him, so yours should be fine as well.

If it is a long trip, you may want to stop from time to time to check on them, specially if they are the type that wake up during the day. You can offer them water at those stops.

This may sound obvious, but make sure they have their sleeping pouch (a dirty one that already have their scent) in the carrier with them, that should help in keeping them calm.

Hope there's someone else with more suggestions.
Question
Nov 13 2014
11:00:47 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
We travel with our girls every Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have no relatives closer than KY (we live in MD/DE border), so it is about a 9 hour drive for us. They travel really well. We put them in bonding pouches when we leave and they love car rides. Sleep all day.We try not to drive too late so they aren't fussing. If we have to stop for the night for some reason, we look for a pet friendly place and set up the cage.

They generally really don't wake up during the trip, sometimes to chew a little apple and go back to sleep.
We bring the carrier, but so far haven't used it. We just make sure to bring their pouch, blankets, toys, wheel, etc. for them , and a small lamp for when we get to our folks.
Question
Nov 18 2014
12:24:03 PM
JenGads Joey 11 Posts
My girls travel well. I've worn them in a bonding pouch for the ride, and left them in the cage sleeping as well. I keep apple/pear pieces on hand in case anyone wakes up, it's a lot easier to keep them hydrated instead of trying to force them to drink from a bottle when they're already in "where the heck am I?" mode. A well-timed yogie or piece of corn also helps all to be forgiven too

Daytime travel is definitely easier. Once we're situated in the car, the girls won't even make a peep. If you're still on the road when playtime starts, you're on your own!! I know how cranky the girls get if anything delays their playtime
Question
Nov 22 2014
12:41:52 AM
GryffindorMom Starting Member 4 Posts
Thank you guys so much for your replies!!! Mine is only a 3 hour drive so it sounds like as long as I leave early enough I should be good. This makes me so less nervous. Thanks Again!!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders