Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mother died
Mother died
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 11 2014
03:58:35 PM
My mom glider died, baby only out of pouch 1 week . How do I care for it? How & what do I feed it?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 11 2014
04:45:31 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
You're in for a TOUGH month. Go buy Esbilac puppy formula and unflavored pedialyte, as well as syringes and/or eye droppers to feed it with. It will have to be fed a mixture of formula and pedialyte approx every two hours. You will need to keep the baby near a mild heat source 24/7 or it can die of hypothermia. Their body temp should be slightly less than a human's; so YOU are their best heat source. Keep the baby on your person, as close to your skin as possible, AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE. When you are sleeping or bathing you will have to have the baby in a pouch in a box (so it cannot climb out) WITH A HEAT SOURCE such as a heating pad set to low. Heat is tricky because too much can dehyrate them. Look up the info on Suz' glider website. Good luck.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 11 2014
05:50:35 PM
BCChins Super Glider 219 Posts
Error, missing URL. m
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 11 2014
09:40:43 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Here is Suz' web page on care of a rejected or in this case motherless joey.

http://suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 13 2014
08:02:06 PM
Savannah1363 Glider Visit Savannah1363's Photo Album 68 Posts
Heat source suggestion: I bought a heating pad but found it was getting too warm even on low (it was reaching 110+) so I put it underneath the box, actually I had to elevate it so the box was about half an inch above the heating pad. Good luck!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 13 2014
08:21:31 PM
AllieRyan Joey USA 37 Posts
I'm not certain of the diet or anything.
But I raised a baby flying squirrel once who had been thrown from a tree after big wind storms, and as for heat, if you don't want to be too hot, I recommend a new sock filled with rice. You can microwave it and make it the exact temperature you want. They keep heat pretty well too. At least enough to shower or do whatever else you need.
My squirrel would climb right on top of the sock and cuddle with it, since it felt like a big body.

I would recommend a dropper for the esbilac and pedialyte. I found that it was very easy to give too much with a syringe.
Mother died

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mother died