Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not eating staple food.
Not eating staple food.
Food, Diet
Nov 11 2014
10:07:26 PM
I have two gliders, Finley and Lily, for a few months now. I feed them HPW complete along with fruit and veggies but i don't think Finley is eating the HPW complete. I have seen her eating the fruit and veggies but not the staple food however in the morning it is all gone. Before Finley and Lily where in the same cage she would eat it but i feel like now lilly is eating both TBS of the hpw complete but I'm not sure. I try to put some on my finger to see if she will take it like a treat but she has no interest. I am worried about both gliders health, one for not having enough staple and the other having too much. Both seem to be in good health, although Finley is on the smaller side ( but she has alway been little bitty). Should i try making a batch of another staple food and then go back? Do y'all think she just eats it while I'm asleep? Since they are both in the same cage how can i tell if they are both getting the right amount of calcium and protein?

Food, Diet
Nov 12 2014
07:58:54 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
She is probably eating it while you are asleep.

But if you think that Lily is taking it all for herself, you can put 2 plates in different positions in their cage. It would be impossible for Lily to guard both plates and impede Finley from getting to want of them.

The only way for you to make completely sure they are both eating it, would be by staying up and observing them or leaving a camera (that has night vision), but I doubt you'd want to do so.

As I said, I believe she is eating it while you asleep, gliders don't eat much at a time, but would rather eat several times at night, and during those feedings it is very possible that she is eating the staple, like she used to when she was alone.

Hope any of this is helpful.
Food, Diet
Nov 12 2014
09:12:28 AM
Hmauld1 Joey 13 Posts
Thanks! I will try and watch a little longer!
Food, Diet
Nov 12 2014
09:44:52 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The best way to make sure your glider is getting enough to eat is to monitor her weight.

Get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams and weigh your gliders every few days - always at about the same time of day and make a note of the weights each time.

As long as she is maintaining her weight or gaining a few grams each week (if she is young and still growing) then she is getting enough to eat.

If there is actual weight LOSS - a trip to the vet may be in order as well as offering a bit more of all foods you offer.

There has been some discussion with respect to HPW Complete and gliders that just do not seem to be able to get enough of it to be satisfied. It is possible that one glider is eating more than the other but that would also be evident in that glider GAINING weight more rapidly than the other. If that is the case, a switch to either HPW Plus or Original HPW (or another feeding plan entirely) might give the gliders a staple that is more satisfying.

Not eating staple food.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Not eating staple food.