Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Do Sugar Gliders Menstruate?
Health related
Nov 22 2014
01:29:41 AM
I have a total of 4 sugar gliders, 3 of them are males. (2 Neutered)
So only having one female I was a little alarmed when I went to go pick her up and a small droplet of blood fell on my arm. It looked very much to that of a human female period. I don't know if I should be concerned because she doesn't seem to be bothered by it. No licking or extra attention to her butt area so I wasn't sure if was normal or if it's a possible bladder infection.
Health related
Nov 22 2014
09:45:38 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Menstruation is only present in placental animals. Gliders are marsupials, joeys are developed in the pouch instead of inside a placental sack. So, no...blood would not be associated with her being in heat or 'menstruating'. You may need to have her checked by a vet for a urinary track infection. They often mark you a bit when you're handling them and the blood could be in her urine which is why you noticed it. You didn't mention if all 4 gliders are together. You have one intact male, and even the neutered ones will still have some mating urges. She may have had a small injury that you couldn't see from mating.
Health related
Nov 23 2014
01:39:17 AM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
Shes right. Urinary tract infections are common in marsupials cause they pee and poo from the same area, the cloaca. blood from a glider is never normal
Health related
Dec 05 2014
01:12:32 AM
Heppard9351 Starting Member 5 Posts
Took her to the vet. She said it females tend to be more prone to getting urinary tact infection (UTI), especially when they hit puberty. She said it was also her diet. So I've been changing her diet a bit to figure out what will reduce her constipation and prevent the boys from getting UTI.
Health related
Dec 05 2014
08:40:55 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
So, did the vet give you an antibiotic for her?

What is their diet at this time (before your changes). Was the vet able to be of assistance in providing diet advise?

Hope she's feeling much better.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders