Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
doesn't want to eat anything but apples
Food, Diet
Nov 24 2014
10:01:30 PM
Ok, so I'm new to sugar gliders. I tried doing a lot of research and couldn't find anything on this. But I purchased a young glider, at most 2 weeks out the pouch. He or she is very small and all I seem to be able to get her to eat are apples. I have the protein powder I made for her. I put the calcium powder in her pellet food. I even put frozen meal worms out for her. All she wants are apples. The pet store told me to get her Pedialyte as a water replacement until it grows more and stays hydrated. I don't know what to do. Maybe just leave the normal good in her cage and not put any apples in there? I don't know any advice will help .
Food, Diet
Nov 24 2014
10:50:59 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to glider parenthood.

I really do hope your joey is more than 2 weeks OOP. That is WAY TOO YOUNG to have been separated from her mother. If she is 2 weeks OOP, she should still be nursing and is not yet ready to eat or digest solid foods. Joeys should remain with the parents until they are at least 8 to 10 weeks OOP. Joeys usually do not begin to eat solid foods until 5 to 6 weeks OOP when they follow their parents to the food dish.

Please post a picture of your glider with something in the photo for a size reference so we can tell if she really is that young. A weight in grams using a kitchen scale would also help us estimate her age.

You need to feed her as if she is a rejected joey if she really is only 2 weeks OOP.

Here is the information on the care of rejected joeys for you to read.

http://suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm

If your glider is this young, you must also keep her warm - keep her on you as much as possible. You may also need to stimulate the joey to pee and poop.

If you are not sure of the joey's gender - look at the belly. A male joey will have a fur covered "pom" in the middle of his belly. A female joey will have a U shaped pouch opening in the middle of her belly.

Food, Diet
Nov 24 2014
11:15:38 PM
nelson123 Starting Member Visit nelson123's Photo Album 4 Posts

Food, Diet
Nov 24 2014
11:17:07 PM
Not the best picture but I didn't want to disturb him or her too much. I'm just worried eating only apples is going to get him sick. Maybe I can try injecting the apple with food mix?
Food, Diet
Nov 24 2014
11:47:10 PM
Your glider does look young, but probably older than 2 weeks OOP.

What exactly is the "food mix"?

If your joey is ready for solid foods, offer a wide variety of fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables not just apple along with a well balanced staple that will provide the protein, vitamins and calcium gliders need.

Sprinkling calcium powder on pellets is not the best way to make sure your glider gets the calcium needed. You are more likely to overdose than to give the appropriate dosage.

Pellets should not be a major part of your glider's overall diet. Their digestive system is not designed to process hard dry foods.

There are a number of widely used glider feeding plans that will meet your glider's nutritional needs. I have links on my web page to several good diets including my own GliderKids Feeding plan.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

Food, Diet
Nov 25 2014
12:57:41 PM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Try some avocado, yogurt, pork, bacon, half of a red grape, apple juice, cooked corn, ... There is any number of things it will probably start to eat on. Try soaking something in chicken broth for flavor.

I wouldnt want to eat calcium powder or kibble either.
Food, Diet
Nov 25 2014
06:02:25 PM
another thing, im worried he is getting dehydrated. I have not seen him drink any water at all. I have a bowl with pedilyte and an apple in it as well as a bottle with pedialyte in it and have not seen him once go by it. Im worried im running out of time. tonight im going to buy applesauce and mix it with some of the protein powder. get some yogurts and mix it with powder. I don't know. Im just worried. the little guy is real cute and I don't want anything to happen to him, and at 225$, that would be a real shame!!! give me some advice guys!!
Food, Diet
Nov 25 2014
10:18:37 PM
quote:
tonight im going to buy applesauce and mix it with some of the protein powder. get some yogurts and mix it with powder.

WHAT TYPE OF PROTEIN POWDER DO YOU HAVE? Is it a product made specifically for Sugar Gliders?

What are the directions for use on the package?

There are products made for sugar gliders that will provide the protein, vitamins and calcium they need. Some like HPW complete or Instant HPW are mixed with water only. Some like Wombaroo High Protein Supplement or HPW PLUS are mixed with honey, water, eggs and Bee pollen to make a complete staple.

Making a random mixture with applesauce or yogurt may not meet your glider's nutritional needs.

Please take the time to look at the widely used glider feeding plans that have been used for many years to maintain healthy gliders. These are the best way to make sure your glider is getting a balanced diet. I have links on my web page in addition to my own feeding plan.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html

If you are using Pedialyte - it should be changed at least every 8 hours. It will spoil if left out at room temperature after the glider has taken a few sips and introduced bacteria to the remaining pedialyte in the water bottle or dish.

Gliders do not drink a lot of water. They meet most of their fluid needs by eating a nectar like staple and by eating juicy fruits and vegetables.

Try offering some melons - watermelon, cantaloupe or honey dew melon are usually eaten well.
Food, Diet
Nov 25 2014
10:27:19 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Forget the cost of the item, yes it is a shame.

The advice above is clear and very good to get you back to at least having a shot at getting your glider into better shape. We can't verify the age. But the nutrients that you have described are not going to keep him going very long.

Pedialyte in it's original package only lasts for 24 hours refrigerated and must be tossed after that. It should be given by medicine dropper as well as offered in a water bottle or bowl, but must be changed out frequently.

Take a look at this page www.suzsugargliders.com/helpforrejectedjoeys.htm that will take you through the basics from a very young rejected joey through to the age that they will be self sufficient. You may be able to use some of the tips for your glider.

First and foremost. You need to find an exotic vet who is VERY experienced with gliders. It isn't always easy and you may need to travel a distance to them. But, a good vet will be able to verify the age and the needs of this glider in order for him to thrive. There are other factors just as important as his hydration and proper diet, such as the presence of parasites or disease that a vet will need to determine. Check into your area immediately to find a good vet and do what you can to get him there.

In the mean time look at the advice above and also look at the gliderpedia tab above in the diet section which will give you much, better over site and ideas as to what a glider needs to be consuming to stay healthy. This is of second of importance as to getting him to a vet.

In the interim, offer the foods advised above and find a vet that will be able to see him and advise you further. His life is worth it...not the $225. Sorry, but it's a life. Right?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders