Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Need help trimming nervous gliders' nails
Health related
Nov 25 2014
09:15:10 PM
Hello, I recently adopted some sugar gliders from a friend. They aren't scared of me, but they aren't exactly affectionate either. They don't like me touching them or holding them and they always slip away to the back of their cage and start crabbing if I try.
Until now, I've been pretty content letting things go at their own pace, but they really, REALLY need their nails trimmed. I'm worried they'll hurt themselves.

Even if I'm lucky enough that they let me hold them safely, I'm afraid that if I try and go near their little feet and little hands with clippers they'll start thrashing around and I won't be able to get the job done without hurting them.
Does anyone have any tips for this?
Health related
Nov 26 2014
12:26:39 PM
AllieRyan Joey USA 37 Posts
I NEED this information.. haha
Health related
Nov 26 2014
01:29:40 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Well, at first I was a coward and took my gliders to the vet for nail clipping, but because mine squirm and jerk their their feet and hands away whenever you try, my vet ended up nipping them on several occasions, that's why I decided to do it myself, since I would have the patience to deal with their wienitude. And that's really the biggest advice I can give you be PATIENT.

First off, here is a video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIR5hjuS-E

You need:

- nail trimming pouch, or a big piece of fleece
- cornstarch
- nail clippers (angled, slanted edge, whichever you prefer; I fell more comfortable with the angled ones)
- glider
- treats*

You can buy those same supplies she uses here:

www.critterlove.com/care-items.html

Another one I've heard people have had good success with is by using a mesh pouch, a video can be found in the same link where it is bought:

sugargliderjoy.weebly.com/clip-sets.html

Hope this is helpful
Health related
Nov 26 2014
01:43:25 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-S3TdjLNY

By far the easiest way I have found to trim nails.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders