Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My two suggies won't stop drawing blood.
Question
Dec 08 2014
05:35:37 PM
Okay, so I just got a new pair of suggies about two weeks ago.
I've had a pair of males in the past. They were quick to bond, never bit, and extremely playful. Even the shy one warmed up within two weeks. They were amazing and I loved them very, very much. So naturally when they passed I was very upset and I didn't get another pair until 5 years later(now).
This time I decided to get two females. They are a year and a year and a half, hand raised by a breeder. They have a very nice cage with a pouch, hammock, braided rope and ladder all made with fleece I slept with for two days. They also have a large wheel and some other toys. I made a bonding pouch with the same material and even have one of my favorite shirts to cover the cage during the day while they sleep. I feed them lots of fresh fruits and veggies and mealworms and chicken every night. I made mealtime a big deal to them where I have been able to get them comfortable with coming out of the pouch and not being nervous about sitting on my shoulders or clinging to my shirt while I prepare their meal.
I'm very affectionate toward them and they chatter very often while in the pouch as I talk softly and pet them. I have them in the pouch with me for a minimum of six hours a day and I talk to them until midnight nearly every night to show them I'm not going to hurt them and get them used to my voice.
They seem like they are doing very well so far and are warming up quickly.
They only crabbed once and lunged in the beginning, since then I have had no crabbing and no lunging.
I can't get them to stop biting though. They draw blood every time. I don't know if it's because they just aren't bonded to me yet but I've never had this problem with my other pair. But my new girls are really bad with biting. I've been letting them lick applesauce and plain yogurt from my fingers, and they don't bite as long as I keep it coming. I feed them mealworms with tweezers because they get very excited. I give them little bits of fruits and cheerios from my fingers though, trying to show them that fingers are good.
When they bite me I try not to pull away or jump but they continue to bite until I do pull away.
Perhaps they bit their previous owner? I don't know. I don't know how to stop them from biting so hard and I know I definitely need more time, but their biting has not slowed down at all.
Any advice?
And sorry for the long post, I just wanted you all to know the care they get.
Question
Dec 08 2014
07:59:40 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
All gliders are very different, and take their own time in learning to trust. Keep trust building efforts and be patient, loving, and consistent.

Have you attempted any out of cage play like in a tent or small room, like bathroom made glider safe? Playing with them late night or early morning before they go back to sleep is a big step in trust-building.

Otherwise, continue your efforts. You could try giving a Psst (hiss like) when they bite, this is how they communicate to each other when they don't like something.
Question
Dec 09 2014
10:44:27 AM
Suggiebabie Starting Member 2 Posts
I have tried playing with them in a tent, they approach me when I have treats in my hands but other than that they are still a little shy in the tent.
Last night the one began to bark, I'm not sure why? Perhaps she is feeling distressed?
I did play with them this morning before they went back to sleep and the one was very active, jumped right to me when I approached the cage.
I'll try the psst, maybe that will help curve their biting.
Thank you.(:
Question
Dec 09 2014
11:26:36 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Your welcome.

I'm a firm believer in that "out of cage" playtime affects them greatly.

I didn't begin to really develop a good bond until I started out of cage play with them in the bathroom, pouch time helped some, but the trust grew with out of cage play. In reverse, due to changing living circumstances for going on close to a year now, I have not been able to follow a schedule suitable, and they get out of cage play few times and far between. This has affected our relationship, I can tell they still know me, as I spend as much time with them as I can and do what I can, but going from about 3x a week to every once in a while, has made them become a bit more skittish and my Lulu has began biting again, after greatly improving at one time.

It's important to have activities (toys and things to explore and climb)during this time, after they become used to you. I learned the hard way, after realizing I could set up their play tent on my (at the time queen) bed. We had one of those memory foam toppers which made anything to sit on floor not too stable and I hadn't rigged my tent for hanging anything as of yet. After beginning to get them out for play time in the morning at least a couple times a week, my Ollie boy started to become board and had begun attacking my ears, it really hurt, I couldn't tell exactly what he was doing but it was super painful. I had to recently move again, and haven't gotten settled in enough (not even a bed yet) to begin out of cage play again, and they are showing changes towards me again.

You have to let them get used to you, and continue to spend time with them. You will see changes in due time. Good luck!
Question
Dec 09 2014
05:14:55 PM
karensink Face Hugger GliderMap Visit karensink's Photo Album 802 Posts
and when you need to reach in the pouch, go knuckles first. they are harder to bite and hurt less than fingertips. let them smell you and when you sense they are comfortable, slowly open your hand
Question
Dec 11 2014
04:30:51 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
I think it is their age. We have two females about 11/2 year old, and they bite quite a bit. What I mean is, they scrape on us like we are trees. But they draw blood frequently and seem to enjoy it.

I'm not quite sure if it is the same problem you are having, but they rarely ever actually bite, and when they do we are clipping their nails and one manages to squirm their head out from under the fleece.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders