Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
safe trees for gliders?
safe trees for gliders?
Food, Diet
Dec 10 2014
02:29:28 PM
I was possibly thinking of trying my green thumb and growing or getting a potted indoor size tree for my gliders. I saw on the link for the eucalyptus that they offer free seeds. In read these trees are fast growing and can get very large. I do know there are several citrus trees that can be grown in doors as they are dwarf varieties. Also found many places that sell acacia seeds. Curious though what species of acacia shrubs are safe for gliders as there are 100s. I did read black wattle or meanrsii is safe. Could it live indoors??? Also would a dwarf citrus tree be safe as an alternate option?
Food, Diet
Dec 11 2014
09:55:40 AM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
I got some small eucalylptus trees for that reason. I ordered leaves from that site, and got seeds too. However the seeds never came up. So I searched on the internet for some small-medium sized that I can keep inside because I live in Maryland and it gets cold and snows in the winter. Some of what I found shipped large and got larger still. This site turned out good small trees:

www.thegrowers-exchange.com/Eucalyptus_Silver_Drop_p/her-euc01.htm

The others I don't kknow about, citrus or acacia. I do know that I have seen posted on here that adding acacia to their diet helps prevent fur cracking during the winter, so I assume it is okay, but I would see what some of the more experienced people say. Sometimes bark is not okay.

The nice extra feature of the eucalyptus is the smell. The girls like to chew on the leaves sometimes when they wake up during the day (I put a leaf in their pouch). The smell is wonderful and sometimes I hear a crunching emanating from the pouch.
Food, Diet
Dec 11 2014
03:39:54 PM
squirt1226 Glider Visit squirt1226's Photo Album 90 Posts
Thanks I'll try that site for the eucalyptus. Just curious if they are easy to keep prunned. Ive heard they can get quite large and grow very fast.
Ive seen on several site acacia plants are safe but there are literaly 100's of varieties. Some are kept as ornimental shrubs, but not sure which could.be grown or kept indoors. Wondered what kinds are part of wild gliders natural diet. So far black wattle or mearnsii is the only one ive seen specifically menitioned.
My mom has a small dwarf Clementine citrus tree in here dinning room. It surprisingly produces quite a bit of fruit for.such a small tree. It also fills her house with a pleasant citrus fragrance. I've read citrus trees or ok for the gliders. It'd be nice to try growing some of their native favorites tho. :)
Food, Diet
Dec 11 2014
04:22:53 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
The ones I got are not supposed to get tree sized like some I saw when we lived in Georgia. These are supposed to be more shrub like and not so much require full sun like the others, that and the size are why I got these.

The ones I ordered from eucproducts had long leaves more like the usual tree leaves and these are small and round, but my main concern is the size of the tree that I can keep inside for the girls. And they are supposed to be fast growing.
safe trees for gliders?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
safe trees for gliders?