Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hyperactivity and Rebellion
Health related
Dec 12 2014
01:47:39 AM
I'm hoping that I am just being an over protective mom, so before I go to the vet, I figured I would try this.

Recently, I have noticed rebellion and hyperactivity in my 10 month OOP neutered male sugar glider. He is an only baby and I have not had any problems with him (knock on wood). He eats and drinks very well with no change in diet since I brought him home about 9 months ago.

About a week ago, I have noticed that he is throwing things around his cage. Food and water bowls, toys, and pretty much anything he can get his little hands on. Also, he just sounds like he is violently gliding around his cage. He used to be so graceful! I do want to say that this is most definitely NOT a deal breaker, as I absolutely love my baby. I am just concerned about him. He is handled for hours a day. I even snuggle with him in bed during the day on weekends (he just curls up so cute!!). He also just began gliding pretty far. Too far for my own comfort. I used to take him everywhere with me and now I'm scared that if I leave the house with him, I won't get him back. Please tell me that this is a sugar glider version of the "terrible twos!"

He has never understood, nor been a fan of, his wheel. He tries to climb on the outside, but will not go in the wheel to exercise. I'm hoping to get some ideas for ways or devices that can allow him to release energy healthily. I'm worried that I am not providing the proper equipment for him. He has ropes and a hammock and a tunnel. I just don't know what else I can do for him. He has not shown any signs of a UTI, no hissing, no barking. And!! He still gives me kisses every time I open his cage door! There are absolutely no signs of sickness other than the hyperactivity and rebellion.

Everything seems to add up perfectly fine. Would age and comfort levels be a factor in his behavior change? Please help!
Health related
Dec 12 2014
05:23:53 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
Before I can answer, I have some questions that could be answered with a picture of your cage. Would you be able to post that?
Thanks!
Health related
Dec 12 2014
07:36:31 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Good morning,
Well the first thing your going to probably hear from several people is that your glider needs a cage mate, He sounds lonely. I too spent many hours a day with my female, (and still do with both of my gliders) naturally she was sleeping most of the time. So really it benefited me more than her, she was a very lonely glider at night when she was awake until we adopted Simon.

A human, no matter how much time they spend with a glider can NOT replace a friend of their own kind. They are colony animals and do much better with at least one other glider friend. They also learn things from each other, like how to use the wheel, how to forage for food...

Second thing is he needs some actual toys to stimulate him. He's bored and by himself all night long. Simple things like straws, plastic bottle caps or lids, clean empty cool whip containers with a 2 inch hole in the lid and or side. Braided fleece strips so he can undo the braid or loose knots in a strip of fleece. You can braid or tie straws into the fleece for him to pull out. A ball pit- a plastic container filled with crafting pom poms, Easter eggs with treats inside, crafting feathers etc. Toys can be things you probably already have or can pick up cheap at a dollar store.

If he is gliding so far you're afraid he will get away from you outside of the home maybe start taking him places in a bonding bag so he stays safe. I usually have my female on me but when we take them places they both go in the pouch.

Something else to consider is the weather and moon phase. When there is a change in barometric pressure my female goes into a whole new gear. She hyper, twitchy,even a little squirrely and stays that way for a few days and what she can do with her tail is simply amazing lol. Her behavior is abnormal and sometimes stays awake much later than her usual bedtime. I have monitored the pressure and weather when she gets like this and it does seem to correspond with pressure and moon changes. Typically it lasts 3 or 4 days then she goes back to normal.

Water bowls? should pick up a water bottle for him instead of using bowls. They can drown easily even in shallow water. Not to mention the water will stay cleaner removing the chance he will pee or poo in it. It may sound silly but ya just never know.

What kind of wheel do you have?

Edited by - Leela on Dec 12 2014 07:41:01 AM
Health related
Dec 12 2014
07:39:46 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
They do have a 'terrible two' stage. That being said, it sounds like he is a lone glider. Regardless of the amount of time you are able to spend with him it won't replace his need for a cage mate. It's rare for a lone glider to do well in the long term. They are colonial animals and need the comfort and companionship that only another glider can provide.

He may also be bored even though you have him out of his cage frequently. Allowing him to have a safe place in the house for him to glide may help. Now that he's been able to spread his arms, he may be missing being able to do that if you've backed away from letting him do this as frequently out of your fear. I've been able to make my room their gliding place. The bed is usually they're landing target...or my face.
Health related
Dec 12 2014
12:01:46 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
(We type and reply on top of each other around here quite a bit! It isn't meant to be repetative. )

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders