Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Gliders Fighting Over Food
Food, Diet
Dec 17 2014
08:20:13 PM
I have two female gliders. Pocky and Wednesday. They seem to get along pretty well but when it's time for dinner, Wednesday always seems to be food dominant. Whenever I give them some of their favorite food (like apples for instance), I always give them two seperate slices. But Wednesday will gobble hers down really fast and then go over to where Pocky is eating and steal her peice. This is usually followed by Pocky trying to get it back, and this is where they start crabbing at eachother over the food. I wasn't too worried about it, but sometimes it looks like they're getting pretty violent with eachother and I just don't want anyone to get hurt. So, should I start seperating them for meals or is there maybe something I can do about this?

Thank you!
Food, Diet
Dec 17 2014
08:58:58 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
In cases like that, you need to set out two (or more) dishes of food so that the other one can be eating even if Wednesday is gobbling up her food.Or even 3 dishes of food. Then it becomes near impossible to maintain food dominance over all the food dishes.
Food, Diet
Dec 17 2014
09:09:20 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
Whenever I give them some of their favorite food (like apples for instance), I always give them two seperate slices.

If this happens just when you offer them the apple as a treat - try offering them smaller pieces so you can give them each another piece when they finish the first one. Hopefully they will learn to come to you for more instead of stealing from each other.

If they are fighting over the foods you are serving for their dinner - try cutting the fruits and vegetables in smaller glider hand size piece and give them enough that there is a small amount of the fruits and vegetables left over each morning - that way you know they have had all they each wanted and needed to eat over night.

You can also put their food in 2 or 3 different locations in the cage - one dish on the floor, one on a shelf or hanging midway up the side of the cage and one in a hanging dish a little higher or on the opposite side of the cage. One glider cannot guard 3 feeding stations to keep the other from eating.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders