Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Noise levels within the home environment?
Question
Dec 22 2014
01:46:47 AM
Hi there,

I live in an open plan apartment and work during the day but on weekends and holidays I am home and my routine is listening to music and moving around the apartment - I also enjoy burning incense - is this toxic? What do I need to adjust when getting my SG's? No noise at all during the day? If this has been answered already I would be very grateful for the link
Question
Dec 22 2014
02:48:33 AM
unknownxcelebrity Super Glider Visit unknownxcelebrity's Photo Album unknownxcelebrity's Journal FL, USA 259 Posts
Incense isnt good for suggie lungs (or human ones) and it wouldnt be a great idea to burn them if the gliders are in the room. I also theorize that strange smells only make them mark more and strengthen their own scent, which definitely isnt pleasant.

As for noises during the day, it would be best to keep quiet for the first day or so but after that slowly work up to your usual noise level. They get used to the noise quickly and will let you know via crabbing if you're disturbing their beauty sleep
Question
Dec 22 2014
05:02:57 AM
eclipseSA Joey 22 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice
Question
Dec 22 2014
07:18:48 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Initially everything is going to make them crab probably lol, At least for the first week or so. After that they start to get used to your routine, noise, and habits. I listen to movies or tv with the volume pretty loud so I don't have to hear all the yapping dogs near by, It doesn't bother my gliders.

The 2 noises that DO bother them are;

running water- mine have gotten used to it but it took a little while.

And plastic bags, rustling plastic bags still bothers my male.
Question
Dec 22 2014
08:58:41 AM
eclipseSA Joey 22 Posts
Ok, great! I was going to ask about the tv etc. I have a water feature on my balcony but it doesn't make alot of noise so sorted there. Thanks!
Question
Dec 22 2014
09:03:53 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Gliders are instinctively afraid of water. They can NOT swim, and can drown quickly even in very shallow water. If you have your glider on the balcony make sure your water feature is securely covered so the gliders don't have access to it.

They can drown in toilets as well, so if you use the bathroom for their free time make sure the toilet and drains are closed.
Question
Dec 22 2014
09:23:51 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
Gliders are instinctively afraid of water.

I doubt that gliders are afraid of water. I am very sure there are water sources in their natural habitat that may involve the sound of flowing streams.

Glider do often drown in toilets because they cannot get out of the slick bowl with nothing to grip to climb out. Some owners have gone as far as adding a piece of plastic mesh in their toilets as a ladder in case their gliders should fall in.

The best recommendation is to keep toilet lids closed when gliders are in the family and might be out of the cage.

I believe gliders are attracted to toilets, not for the water but because it is a location where THEIR human's scent is probably the strongest.

My gliders have never been bothered by household noises. My TV is always on during the day. I have a few that do not like the sound of rustling paper that will come out of their pouches when I change the paper in their cage pans but a little treat will calm them right down and they go back to sleep.
Question
Dec 22 2014
09:46:07 AM
let me rephrase that, my female glider was afraid of water. I had her in her bonding bag and put my feet in the pool, totally freaked her out before I even put my feet in. She crabbed every time I ran water to do do the dishes for awhile as well. Of course there is water in their natural environment, but being they are usually not on the ground that much they probably aren't really near it unless they are thirsty. There are other sources of water like dew on leaves and plants that provide drinking water.

Edited by - Leela on Dec 22 2014 09:47:06 AM
Question
Dec 22 2014
07:04:29 PM
eclipseSA Joey 22 Posts
My gliders have never been bothered by household noises. My TV is always on during the day. I have a few that do not like the sound of rustling paper that will come out of their pouches when I change the paper in their cage pans but a little treat will calm them right down and they go back to sleep.
[/quote]

Thanks so much!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders