GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help ! Glider keeps escaping.
Question
Dec 22 2014
06:39:16 AM
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone on here is using a pervue flight cage, if so please let me know how you sealed the doors shut. I zip tied all the doors, but they still escape at 2-5am. Also if you guys have any cage recommendation please let me know.
Thanks.
I have a 5month old white face & a 11 week old mosaic white tail.
Question
Dec 22 2014
07:23:49 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
are you sure they are getting out using the doors? If you have the same cage as the one I looked up the bottom grate slides out for easier cleaning. Some gliders have learned how to slide the grate enough to get underneath the grate and escape. Just a possibility.

I use the brisbane cage and we love it

Edited by - Leela on Dec 22 2014 07:25:35 AM
Question
Dec 22 2014
08:22:53 AM
jay_86 Starting Member 8 Posts
I'm honestly not sure how they are getting out, but I took a guess it was the door. The night before I saw the side door pushed open a bit, I zip tied it better. But now both are getting out. I'll pay attention to the bottom grate when I get home later. Have you had any problems with the brisbane cage ?
Question
Dec 22 2014
08:58:09 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Do the doors slide up and down or open out like a normal door? The sliding doors are pretty easy for them to get out of.

We love the brisbane, the doors have sturdy latches, the grate does slide out but my gliders don't mess with it.

Do you have toys and stuff to occupy your gliders? If they don't have any toys, and a wheel they maybe bored and under stimulated which is maybe why they are learning how to get out of the cage.
Question
Dec 22 2014
09:41:23 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Gliders can open the slide up feeder doors on most cages.

I think the Prevue Flight cage has a light weight bottom grate which would not take much for a glider to slide out just enough to get into the cage pan then slip out of the cage between the grate and cage pan.

You can zip tie the grate and all of the slide up doors to secure them.

Check around the cage as well to see if there are any spaces that are slightly wider than 1/2 inch. With the light weight cages sometimes the bars closest to the edges of the cage are slightly farther apart where the two sides meet. Check all around the cage where the wire meets the frame to see if there is a space you can easily slip your entire finger or thumb through.

Gliders are smart - if they found ONE spot that is wide enough to use to escape they will go back to it every time they want to go out for an explore.
Question
Dec 22 2014
05:06:41 PM
jay_86 Starting Member 8 Posts
It's not a slide door, I'm going to zip tie the grate hopefully that helps.
Question
Dec 22 2014
07:04:18 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
We have metal clips on all doors and have taped the litter trays in place. All of our adult gliders have escaped, 3 through feeder doors (1 pulled a cloth cover through the bars and somehow opened the door that way), and 1 we still do not know how. She is the smallest and it might have been through slightly bent bars; we could not find any other way. It was a cheap cage and some of the bars were slightly bent, so maybe that. Gliders can be pretty creative. They might be escaping just because it's fun, but make sure they have a good stimulating environment inside the cage. I wonder if they want to get out for a reason, or just because they can. Good luck!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders