Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
sugar glider adoption questions.
Research Information
Jan 13 2015
07:15:09 PM
Ok I have talked to and been asked by a couple people if I would adopt their gliders. I personally don't have a issue but I think I need to be asking for more questions.
I know to ask what they come with,
what diet the feeding
any known favorite ( hated foods items) ( like none of mine like strawberries)
if they have any linage ( I think a couple were pocket pet pets in the past)
I also know I need to have a wellness check done and what not for each glider. I feel that I am missing something I should be asking. I know I should look out for skinny gliders, lethargic gliders, any bald spots( over grooming) and injuries ( as well as looking for swelling were they should not be any)

I also was wondering on if there any kind of price range I should not pay, if I am adopting( I not wanting to pay 200 bucks for just a glider that say 4 years old and the person only offering the glider ( unless it was albino lol )
Research Information
Jan 13 2015
09:42:31 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You seem to have all the questions you need to ask except perhaps requesting a copy of their vet reports - so you would know if they have had any health issues in the past.

The biggest question is one you need to ask yourself - HOW MANY GLIDERS AND CAGES CAN YOU MANAGE?

If I recall correctly you already have 4 or 6 gliders. You need to look closely at your own resources and the amount of time you have to spend with the gliders if you need to split your time between several colonies. Plus extra time for cleaning multiple cages etc.

If you start taking in any and all gliders that need good homes, it can get out of hand pretty quickly.
Research Information
Jan 13 2015
09:55:21 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
Yeah I know that Candy. We do have 6 gliders in 2 colonies right now. ( I can also guarantee that my wife will not let me keep every glider I do take in.) I Guessing I will mostly be a foster home to a glider or 3 ( that not part of my own colonies ) for a few months to help them their hopefully final home. I just know most the local SPCA places are not equipped for gliders or snakes lol. I have plenty of time if I need to lol I am lucky to work 20-30 hours a week, I can spend the other half of my day cleaning and playing with gliders plus I get to take them to work so they get played with during the day and use to other people petting them for the most part.
Research Information
Jan 14 2015
07:42:17 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I considered taking in a 3 yr old single male glider this week and had to decline. A toddler put his finger in the cage and got bit so the husband is making the wife get rid of the glider. The glider is very local to me, just up the road in fact. They had a 100 re-homing fee and dropped it to 75 if I could pick him up that day.

I currently have a male and female glider my male is neutered. This 3 yr old glider is not neutered and the owners didn't seem to have much if any glider knowledge.

It's heartbreaking to have to decline and I understand they want to recoup some of the money they spent on him. Had they not have had a rehoming fee I could of justified the cost of neutering him to my boyfriend and done the 30 day quarantine to introduce him to my pair. I paid 100 for my female and 75 for my male, who came to us already neutered and vet checked.

I know it's a reasonable amount for a glider but undetermined vet bills might not have been. I explained this to the lady and offered to help with the biting in the meantime which seems to be the main issue for getting rid of him, And got no response from her.

So for me a reasonable price is free because they just want to find the glider/s a better home. I feel this way for a couple reasons.

1 immediate vet bills for wellness check, fecal, and possible neuter. And that's if the glider seems healthy. If it's not healthy then there are medications and what not, and of course possible neutering.

2 most cages they would come with probably need replaced for one reason or
another, if they come with one at all. So in most cases you will need a suitable cage regardless

3 most would need a glider safe wheel for the new cage even if it's temporary.

These are 3 expenses right off the bat if your not already equipped to take in gliders in need, that the owners of said gliders probably aren't even aware of.

Of course there are exceptions to that where a pair might come with an acceptable cage and wheel and such and in that case I could understand 3-400 if everything came with them and were in good shape.

I personally am not equipped with extra cages and wheels to just go ahead and pay for a glider in need. I could justify getting this stuff if I didn't have to pay for the glider as well. Yes the owner will undoubtedly be out some money, but they are the ones who made an uneducated impulse buy, not me. So you may need to explain this to people that want you to buy their gliders, maybe their price would be reduced if they knew what they were asking you to do.

Really it's a lot to take on, if your able to do so I commend you. If your looking at this as a foster type situation keep in mind you may have them for longer than a couple of months.

My local rescue takes in surrendered gliders and typically has them in her care for up to a year and a half before they find appropriate forever homes. There isn't usually a quick turn around for fostering gliders. She charges what she has invested into those gliders. So whatever vet bills she has paid is included in the adoption fee. My male was only with her a short time so his fee was 75, the cost of neuter and fecal etc... And that was a deal in itself, her vet offers her some really good discounts because of the amount of gliders she brings in and she's been a longtime client. The average person isn't likely to get deals like that

Anyways sorry for the novel... and good luck to ya

Research Information
Jan 16 2015
05:52:09 PM
OK so I am Taking one glider in right now. and How does people feel about signing a paper when you giving up a glider ( to a rescue or other people)
I use to have a paper you had to sign when you gave me your unwanted snake and a second paper if you adopted a snake from me ) I never wanted a person to say I forced them into doing either. Below is a quick type up I just did for gliders. (I don't have a fancy education so I kept it simple lol )

A example posted below ( any ideas on improving let me know in replies )

DATE ____________________

I __________________ have agreed to adopt the glider(s) listed to Terry Rogers of my own free will I was not forced. I have given Terry all the information retaining to the glider(s) that I have pertaining to their recent health, age, and such so that he can have as complete as possible record for the glider to take to his vet for a wellness check and neutering if needed. I can request update on how the glider(s) are doing for a period of 45 days if I choose to via email or text if I desire from Terry. Once Terry has adopted the glider(s) I will no longer be held responsible for any vet bills or other cost that Terry incurs for their care.
Glider 1:
Name: ____________ Age:______________
Sex:______________ Markings:_________________

Glider 2:
Name: ____________ Age:______________
Sex:______________ Markings:_________________

Owner:______________

Adoptee:__________________
Research Information
Jan 16 2015
09:30:43 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If you pay for the gliders you are 'rescuing' and then charge a fee for their adoption - you will need a USDA BROKER'S LICENSE.

Most glider rescues do not pay to take in gliders that owners are surrendering because they can no longer care for them.

If an adoption fee is charged, it is a minimal amount - usually only enough to cover PART of the cost of the vet care for the glider while in the rescuer's care.

Here is more information you may want to consider before declaring you are ready to rescue gliders:

www.southeastsugargliders.org/testimonials.html
Research Information
Jan 17 2015
06:50:44 AM
Candy I don't plan on being a rescue ( don't have the room or resources) I going to foster gliders as I can on a case to case base. I know I can line up homes fast for a glider(S) if needed between work and people asking me We have People that don't like the PP cage (size) and want glider but want to get something like our Hendrex preve f050 cages for their glider.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders