Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Urgent! Please!
Urgent! Please!
Health related
Jan 16 2015
05:41:59 AM
Recently my glider has gotten stuck on her bed.. And her foot is all swollen and bloody and ...yeah. I took her to the vet(her drooling and coughing from prior was just some mild bronchitis I guess but it stopped) and they just gave her a shot of antibiotics and pain medication.... But she keeps eating at it and messing with her other back paw now and it rips my heart out to hear her chitter warning noise (no idea what it's called sorry) and know my baby is hurting. We took her bed away and ruined our good comforter so she can wrap up in it, because it's the only one her nails don't really get caught on...
Please someone help me know what I can do to help her, the vet didn't really do much :( I'm worried. I've read other similar cases where they lost their foot, or even died.. I can't lose my suggies :( please.. Any insight is good insight...

Health related
Jan 16 2015
06:10:16 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I wish I could help but she really needs to go to a vet, preferably a vet with glider experience. If the first vet didn't help much try a different vet.

When gliders get injured like this they may start to self mutilate to get rid of the source of the pain! She needs to see a vet ASAP and may need an E collar to prevent her from irritating it further.

I wish I could help more but were not vets and can't really offer medical advice

We might be able to help find a vet though if we knew where you are located
Health related
Jan 16 2015
09:05:29 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It's a complicated situation and there are many suggestions that could apply here, but to cut straight to the immediate need...if we knew your location we might be able to help find an exotic vet in your area who can better help you. They really do require very specific treatment that not all vets are able to perform.

Also, please know that if indeed this foot needs to be amputated, that many many owners of gliders have gone through this and have found that the gliders adapt very well and can live long healthy lives. If there is infection and gangrene starting they may need to take it quickly in order to save her. If they can treat her quickly enough with antibiotics, etc. there is at least some hope.

There is also a phone number that can be given to vets so that they can speak with knowledgeable glider vets to consult on proper treatment...but, I unfortunately don't have it. I hope a member will come along and be able to help with that.
Health related
Jan 16 2015
09:12:24 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Vet_Database/index.html

I have this link but I know there is another one too If I can find it I'll post it. I've seen Candy post it a few times but I can't think of where it is offhand.
Health related
Jan 16 2015
09:15:47 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
It is on her website for the gliderkids. Here is the link

Sorry, had to hyperlink it since it won't let me post it.

Just remember: only another vet may call these vets, you can't do it yourself.

Edited by - rustypossumfart on Jan 16 2015 09:17:20 AM
Health related
Jan 16 2015
09:45:55 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I agree - your glider needs to be seen again by the vet. While you are there have her other nails trimmed to prevent snagging.

Put her in an E-collar immediately so she cannot continue to chew on her feet.

Here are the instructions to make one:

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/ecollar.htm

She needs pain medication if the vet did not give you any for her. The self mutilation is her way of getting the pain to go away. The E-collar will keep her from reaching her feet.

You will need to make sure she can get to her water bottle while in the collar and you may have to hand feed her a few times each night if she cannot eat from a dish very well. Some folks find the trough type bird water dishes work well for the gliders's nectar-like staple. (HPW, BML etc.) If you use a staple that is too thick you may need to add a little water to use this type feeder.

If he gave her a shot of antibiotic, but did not give you an oral medication to give at home, the shot is most likely a long lasting antibiotic that should be effective to prevent infection.

Health related
Jan 16 2015
09:48:35 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Please keep us updated on how your little one is doing.
Health related
Jan 16 2015
04:38:36 PM
Ticktockzoey Joey Visit Ticktockzoey's Photo Album 26 Posts
She's still chewing at it and it's getting worse. I'm making the cone as we speak. All I have is felt though so imma have to watch. I don't mind hand feeding her, I've been doing that the past couple days because she won't eat unless I practicay shove her food in her hands. She isn't drinking much. He gave me a oral medication for pain but that's it. The anibiotoc is supposed to last a week or two. I'm trying to get her to stop moving from spot to spot but she refuses to stay in anything other than an article of clothing of mine at this point and it pulls at my heart. I don't want her to be malnourished by the end of this. I can't take her /back/ to the vet because the previous visit drained my bank account. He was recommended by the glider site but I don't know, he wasn't very helpful. I'm just hoping in a couple days it looks better :( once her cone is on, can I put something on her foot??? Like neosporin or something?? Since she won't be able to lick it off then??
Health related
Jan 16 2015
04:40:56 PM
I'm also located in North Carolina, around fayettville
Health related
Jan 16 2015
09:27:01 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If she has continued to chew on her foot and exposes the bone you will need to take her back to the vet. Even with the antibiotics, exposure of deep tissue could cause a fatal infection.
Health related
Jan 17 2015
02:29:26 PM
DogKisses Starting Member 2 Posts
Im in Fayetteville too. Which vet did you use? Southern Oaks? I recently had my male neutered there, that's the extent I know of vets.

But I was told that their (Southern Oaks) Specialty Exotic vet has moved to Central Animal Hospital (they bought it), please call them and ask to speak to Dr. Nader. The vet that neutered my glider recommends him. If you look up Central, it will not say Exotics, but the Exotic vet just moved there. There might be a Zoo vet there too.

There is a vet in Raleigh that I heard was really good.

Central Animal Hosp. 910-484-5104
Southern Oaks (Hope Mills) 910-424-3011
Bowman (Raleigh) 919-847-6216

I'd call Central first. Then Bowman.
Health related
Jan 20 2015
01:07:41 AM
@dogkisses
No the only one I knew of was the one going toward Ramsey in fayettville and he hasn't been too helpful there
Health related
Jan 20 2015
01:40:35 AM
DogKisses Starting Member 2 Posts
Definitely try Central! Was it Northgate? They wanted nearly $500 for a glider neuter lol. I told them thanks, but no thanks.
Urgent! Please!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Urgent! Please!