Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Partially successful when combining colonies
Behavior
Jan 17 2015
11:39:29 AM
I have had 2 female sugar gliders for about a year. A friend no longer had time for the 2 female sugar gliders she had, so I adopted them.

I have had them in their separate cages for about a month and have kept the cages right next to each other but not so close that they could grab each other. I have been slowly swapping sleeping pouches, bonding pouches, and cages.

I had the 2 colonies in separate bonding pouches and I put the mesh part of the bonding pouch up next to each other so they could meet. The dominate glider from my friends colony started crabbing and lunging trying to attack the other colony. No other glider from either colony showed any sort of aggression.

I put the aggressive glider back in her cage and let the other 3 meet in the play tent. The three are now together getting along great, they are now sleeping in the same pouch.

I have the lone aggressive glider in her own cage.

Where should I go from here?
Behavior
Jan 17 2015
03:15:33 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Well, I'm no expert, but since her former mate is now with the other two, maybe try the bonding bags with the three in one and her alone in the other, see how she reacts now that her mate is with them. I really don't have any other suggestions, but hopefully someone who does will be here shortly to help you.

I used scent swapping & mingling then moved on to bonding pouches. I never had the situation where I could even have their cages in the same room, so I used the bonding bags, single layered fleece. I introduced a single male to my female pair. That is the only experience I have, but it worked well for me.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders