Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Has owning a sugar glider been all you hoped for?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
12:40:03 PM
Im new to the sugar glider community. Looking into getting one...or two gliders.

I'm just curious. Knowing what you know today, after owning a sugar glider, would you do it all over again?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
01:03:55 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Great question!
Yup. As a matter of fact, I DO keep doing over again, and over again, and over again. I just adopted glider #6 :-)
Love them! Worth every penny and every minute.
I'm sure others will provide longer answers and if you have specific concerns let us know because this community is very knowledgeable.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
01:12:49 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Save yourself a considerable headache and a glider from living alone and get two .

Knowing what you know today, after owning a sugar glider, would you do it all over again? Yes, maybe done differently but would absolutely do it all over again.
There like potato chips, ya can't just have one
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
01:25:22 PM
trainedmermaid Glider Visit trainedmermaid's Photo Album 69 Posts
Awesome. Glad to hear it. I had asked a similar question on a parrot forum years ago and oh my, so many told me they would not (despite loving their pets).

As for one glider vs two. If I get two, will it make the bonding process (with me) any more difficult? I definitely understand that they are social creatures, and I'm very open to the idea of getting two. But I want to be able to interact with them.

I have a lot of questions (I've been reading everything..everywhere..but sometimes its better to just ask others with personal experience). So if I get annoying - let me know.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
01:33:31 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
In my opinion having two makes bonding with the human easier, not more difficult. In fact that is the one thing I would do differently, I would have gotten two to begin with.

When you have two there is usually going to be one who will be a little braver of the two. The braver one will tends to take to the human a little quicker. This one is a valuable asset and ally for bonding with the shyer one. The can and do learn from each other, so the more confident one will take the lead the shyer will eventually follow suite, *most of the time

Ask away that's what these forums are for, People will tend to respond to questions that they themselves have experience with. But keep in mind I don't think any of the members are vets so some medical questions may go unanswered.

Edited by - Leela on Jan 19 2015 01:35:59 PM
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
02:43:37 PM
AnnXoJ Glider Visit AnnXoJ's Photo Album 83 Posts
Would I do it all over again after knowing everything I know ?

Not even a question lol I would absolutely positively do it again !
They are such unique little personalities I mean it's amazing to watch them..

I will say it is much different when you start with one then two .. I wanted girls after I got my two boys and I just so happened to come across a friend who couldn't keep hers so I got her (Zoey) and a day later I had my eye on another suggie girl that I wanted and I got her(Fara) ... Now when you get them separate there is a chance that they won't get along so it will take some time.. There's introductions and quarantine.. can be a pain to some.. For me I just took my time but that's also something to consider with getting them separate ..

But I did notice a remarkable difference when I did put them together .. Zoey has always been a talker (crabber) but I knew she was sweet and an easier baby to bond with but Fara lol she was moody and a biter for sure lol but once I put them together after quarantine and pouch swapping and all that they began to groom each other instantly ! Phew what a relief !!! A couple of nights of me jumping out of my sleep because they step on each other and hiss and being that they were still new to each other I was making sure they weren't balling up or anything crazy like that..

Anyway ! Lol after putting them together I noticed a remarkable difference in Fara she was way less crabby and more curious about me and getting "brave" like her new sister :)

My boys came together and they were much easier to bond with .. My one boy crabbed a total of two times and the other never crabbed at me once may he G.I.P !

So I will recommend getting two over one at a time lol :)
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
02:55:56 PM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
Bonding is definitely easier with more than one glider in my experience. They all eventually copy the most outgoing glider (I have 3 young male gliders).

I also have 3 birds (plus a myriad of other animals), and I definitely understand why people said they wouldn't do it all over again with parrots (my cockatiel is singing the Imperial March from Star Wars right now as LOUD as can be).

In my opinion, gliders are a lot less work, and a lot quieter than parrots. Gliders can also amuse themselves better than parrots (as long as you have more than one glider and have an enriched environment with toys etc.). I am not saying gliders aren't a lot of work, but as someone who worked at the SPCA as an animal care worker cleaning cages and feeding animals for 8 hours a day, they are relatively easy.

Just read as much as you can, and you will be able to tell if they are for you. :)
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
05:19:11 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
Well officially we had gliders for just over a year ( got my wife one for xmas in 2013) and we been growing since she got a cage mate ( this was before I even had a real job) So the one we got was a little evil devil but she improved since then. But when you compare the other gliders I gotten since then she still evil lol
I think the only thing I would every change would of been never rehoming the other 3 gliders that came with the one even if I know they all doing good now, I found I can get attached to these little turds way to easy, when you compared to everything else. I had in my life.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
05:56:59 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
Hell Yea, 10 years, 86 gliders plus some joeys I would not have it any other way. love my gliders, from the meanest rescue to the sweetest bra babies. Did I mention I love my gliders. What else can you take in a tent and pees and poos on you and plays with feathers like a cat. chases bubbles. Can show you serious tricks in the wheel. glides like a flying squirrell..............watch out for those tent facehugs!

so run now before it happens to you, quick walk away, lol
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
07:03:18 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Well, as I love animals and love caring for them, I have to say that yes I would do it again. I'll be honest, there were moments where I felt I may have bit off more than I can handle, but those were only for moments and after which considering not having them in my life ever, I can say I have no regrets.

I have three, a trio of two females, my first that I homed, and one male, that I homed just a little over a year ago, he had lost his mate and needed new friends. I love them, they are very entertaining, but they are also a full commitment, but then to me, all pets are.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
07:43:02 PM
Awesome, thank you for the replies everyone. I've been reading them all.

So I'll definitely be getting more than one. I have the time/finances/room in my home and a spare bedroom I wouldn't mind turning into a "glider room". But this brings me to my next question - genders. Are their personality differences between the two in your experience? I don't really know where to start when it comes to this. I'm trying to figure out the basics of trios or colonies.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
09:26:07 PM
Personality depends on the glider really not so much the gender, at least in my opinion. Also the gliders history, if they've moved around a lot there maybe some issues that need worked on, but once addressed they can become whole new happy gliders.

Another thing to consider is, intact males smell more than females or neutered males. So if you have a sensitive nose keep that in mind. 2 or more intact males will end up being aggressive with each other even if they once all got along.

When they reach maturity they start posturing for the dominant position. So if you are consider 2 or more male joeys you will want to find a glider experienced vet and have them neutered before they reach maturity * which can be as early as 4 months old.

If you get a male and female sibling pair you will also want to have the male neutered to prevent inbreeding.

Personally I have a male and female. The female we got as a joey and the male we adopted from a glider rescue. Both of them have different personalities but I don't believe it's because of gender.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 19 2015
11:31:58 PM
Thank you Leela! You were very helpful.

I found this link and it also helped me a ton on the whole male vs female, trio genders, ect. http://www.petsugargliders.com/sgboysgirls.php

Also - I found a vet very close to my house that has been treating exotic animals (including sugar gliders) for ages.

Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2015
07:21:55 AM
quote:
Tell me a little about the males.: Males have scent glands located on their neck, chest, anus, and forehead, used to mark their territory. The smell is faint and hardly noticeable when the glider is in a clean habitat, on a good diet, and in good health.

The part that is in bold is BS and inaccurate. An intact male has a very noticeable smell/funk, when the cage is cleaned the first thing they want to do is smell it back up again by marking everything they can.

Which usually prompts people to clean everything more, making him mark everything more to make it smell like "him" to let other gliders know it's all his territory. So you essentially end up in a vicious circle of cleaning and stink.

I'm not saying a clean cage isn't important, it very much is. But gliders are very scent orientated so it's best to use mild scented cleaning solutions to clean the cage and fleece. I use dawn dish washing soap, vinegar, and water solution. The vinegar helps with the "funk" smell but it's not strong enough to make them over mark everything.

A good diet is important and a diet high in protein can make them smell a little stronger than normal, from what I've read.

It took about a month to a month n a half for my Simon's scent to be tolerable after his neuter. He has gotten much better about not marking things in the cage as well, but if you put anything up to your nose you will still regret it But in general the smell of the cage has decreased considerably when walking by or resetting all the toys.

The rest of the info is pretty accurate unless I missed something cuz I haven't had my morning dose of caffeine

Great job in finding a vet near you in advance!! It's always a good idea to start building a relationship with the vet who will be caring for your gliders in any medical situations.

So many people dive into getting gliders and never bother looking for a local vet that has any glider experience. Many have lost gliders for not having a vet in their area.

Gliders can and do hide illnesses for a very long time usually by the time you realize they are sick it's almost to late. The importance of having a vet and local 24 hour emergency care can't be stressed enough. When you talk to the vet ask about 24 hour or after office hours emergencies. If they don't provide that ask for a recommended emergency alternative.

It sounds like your doing a really good job researching everything before you get them, I and I'm sure many others commend you for that!! I honestly think people who don't research and buy them on impulse are probably the only people who wouldn't have them as a pet again. It's much easier to give them the proper care when you understand their needs. When you understand their needs it's much easier to bond with them and them you. Sounds like you'll do just fine

Have you looked at cages and wheels yet?
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2015
09:52:00 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
quote:
It sounds like your doing a really good job researching everything before you get them, I and I'm sure many others commend you for that!! I honestly think people who don't research and buy them on impulse are probably the only people who wouldn't have them as a pet again.

I really like the way Leela put this and I agree. Unless you've been close to someone who has gliders (well kept) and have been able to spend a lot of time around them you'll never know how truly amazing it is to have these little creatures, regardless of all the research one can do. I'm not saying don't research! It's just that once you settle in and feel comfortable and capable with your gliders it really isn't exactly what you figured it would be. I suppose it is like that with anything in life, really, not just gliders. And yes...I would do it all over again.

Looking forward to seeing you move forward through your research and 'quest'!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2015
09:53:34 AM
Thank you so much Leela.

In fact, I was actually just about to make a new thread concerning cages. I don't know where to even start because I read up on it last night...and the more I read, the more confused I became. I read horror stories about suggies dying from chewing on toxic materials.

So what is safe? Do you have any affordable recommendations? I found a bunch of giant bird cages at the local flea market for under $100 and the bar spacing was perfect. BUT....I don't want to take any chances with my future gliders getting sick.
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2015
09:58:09 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Make a new thread...we're following!
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2015
09:59:55 AM
Hahah. Okay, I will make one right now. Yall are wonderful & have been very, very patient with me. Thank you
Default, miscellaneous
Jan 20 2015
10:38:39 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
YES

I would do it over and over and over again! Now that I have gliders in my life, I can't imagine not having any at all. They have become such a huge part of my life and they have such funny little personalities that can brighten up any dull day of mine. I come home from work, take a shower, share a healthy snack with my fur babies and watch funny YouTube videos or Netflix with them crawling all over my legs under the sheets lol. My life just wouldn't be the same.

If there's anything I would change, I would get 2 females instead of 2 males. I'm in a dilemma now where my 2 boys are not getting along. And if I had just gotten a female to begin with, it would be so much easier. Meiko came into my life at such a perfect time though.. I wouldn't trade him for the world!!! Same for Stitch

Sugar gliders do have some drawbacks, such as vet bills and grocery shopping 2+ times a week... but they are worth every penny and second and effort. Such loving little creatures they are

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders