Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What can I use instead of BML mix?
Food, Diet
Jan 19 2015
05:24:41 PM
Hey everyone! I go to make my Stella's BML today, I haven't made it in a while, and I cannot find my calcium or Herptivite! So, is there anything I can throw together that would equal out the calcium that I can give her until I can get some more or find the others I have misplaced?

I have read that eggs help, but I don't know how much I should give her or if that's even true. I've also read giving them baby food is a good idea. Any suggestions will help and thanks in advance!
Food, Diet
Jan 19 2015
06:37:11 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I would not substitute anything for what the instructions call for, it will change the diet and all of the work behind it to ensure the right amount of nutrients are being offered.

If you are asking about a one-time or temporary diet until you can find or re-purchase new supplements, then yes. You can offer temporary other sources of protein and fruit/vegetables. The protein source can be boiled or cooked, unseasoned chicken, hard boiled or scrambled, unseasoned eggs, and you can offer yogurt, make sure it does not contain aspartame.

I wouldn't use this temporary diet long, but it would do for a little while, the sooner you have them back on their bml, the better, in my opinion.
Food, Diet
Jan 19 2015
11:06:05 PM
KittyRIOT Starting Member OH, USA 4 Posts
I wasn't talking about substituting ingredients for BML, I meant what can I use instead of that at the moment. I'm currently laid off from work and can't exactly afford the needed ingredients so I'm substituting until I can. I gave her frozen vegetables, boiled eggs and baby food tonight. She seems to like it quite a bit.
Food, Diet
Jan 20 2015
10:53:33 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I wasn't sure which way you meant it, so that's why I gave my thoughts on both scenarios.

What you fed was fine, since you are not feeding the actual BML, you can use other vegetables and fruits than are listed for that diet and give a better variety of vegetables and fruits to ensure that she's getting proper nutrition. Try looking for some fruits and veggies that are higher in calcium and lower in phosphorous using this chart http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/FruitVegLIST2011.pdf since you're temporarily not using the formula for BML, the calcium is important. You can also add a bit a yogurt several times per week to give a little protein and calcium as well. With yogurt, you can get plain, vanilla or fruit blended as long as it doesn't contain artificial sweeteners.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders