Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutered sugar glider
Neutered sugar glider
Health related
Jan 25 2015
06:26:59 PM
So a week and a half ago I got my sugar glider neutered. The vet told us to keep the cone on for two days, we did this and everything has been fine. Then last night while holding him he was cleaning himself and I noticed he was chewing on something. I looked and there was a couple cm of the stitching just hanging there while the rest was still attached. Do I need to worry and put the cone back on?

Edited by - Erwin88 on Jan 25 2015 06:28:22 PM
Health related
Jan 25 2015
06:52:18 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I would say yes, put the cone on. Better safe than sorry and loose/hanging stitching sounds like a possible health issue.
Stitching? I've had two fellas neutered and never had stitching. How long until it's supposed to dissolve or be removed? Call your vet tomorrow to find out what to do.
Health related
Jan 25 2015
07:26:21 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
I would NOT put the cone back on. The stitches are probably dissolving under the skin and he is just removing the loose parts. If the stitches are not the type that dissolve your vet would have instructed you to bring him back in about a week to have them snipped and pulled out.

His incision should be well healed after a week and a half. The stitches are going to come out one way or another.

Health related
Jan 25 2015
07:35:54 PM
I do of course defer to Candy, who has much more experience than I. I am a worrier and would likely put the cone on until the vet made clear the nature of how and when the stitches should be removed, but if Candy has experience with stitches after neutering then I would trust her. Best of luck and keep us informed!
Health related
Jan 26 2015
09:50:33 PM
Erwin88 Joey 24 Posts
I am a huge worrier also. I worry about him not getting enough attention and being unhappy, worry he doesn't have enough stuff in his cage to play or there is too much. Lol it's what I do best. But I had emailed the vet since the place was closed yesterday and he said that he believes it should be healed by now but maybe put the cone on just in case. I ended up not putting it on him though. My bf helped me snip the part of stitches that were hanging loose so he wouldn't have that part to bother him. Tonight he seems to be perfectly fine and there isn't any extra stitching hanging so looks like he's left it alone.
Health related
Jan 27 2015
10:51:07 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
I'm a worrier as well... My vet told me as long as he is not BITING the incision area, then you should be fine. Of course they're going to groom and lick and try to pick whatever foreign object on their body.. As long as they are not biting and chewing on the actual incision spot. My glider had the area surgically glued so there was nothing for him to pull.. However he did lick and groom a lot. He was completely healed within 10 whole days.
Health related
Jan 28 2015
03:57:53 PM
I'm so glad to hear everything worked out! Worrying stinks but it's nice to know I'm not the only one :-)
Neutered sugar glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutered sugar glider