Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Feathers!?!??
Feathers!?!??
Question
Jan 27 2015
09:24:14 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum but already I've found a lot of helpful info I have four lovely little suggies and I'm looking for new ideas for play-time with my babies! I've heard some people say that gliders go absolutely CRAZY for feathers, but I had a few questions before trying them out. Are they safe? Is it better to buy real or dyed feathers? And for real feathers, where could I buy them?

Thanks in advance!
Question
Jan 27 2015
09:47:44 PM
A.Fenton4-H Glider Visit A.Fenton4-H's Photo Album 84 Posts
Yes, they LOVE feathers! I happen to raise chickens, so for me it's not terribly hard to find feathers. :P I would suggest real over dyed, however I don't know if dyed is actually harmful or not though.

Straws can also intrigue them, but in my experience, they still love feathers more. :P

Edited by - A.Fenton4-H on Jan 27 2015 09:48:30 PM
Question
Jan 27 2015
09:50:26 PM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
My 3 gliders definitely love feathers and spend a fair amount of time carrying them around and grooming them. They like both the large and the small ones. I use the dyed ones from a craft store.
Question
Jan 28 2015
06:07:20 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Mine love feathers as well we picked up a feather boa at a dollar store. Feather dusters work well also and are usually not dyed. Cat Teasers with feathers on the tip are great to run along the outside of the cage, just make sure it's cat nip free cat nip is toxic

I've not had any problems with dyed feathers but some folks suggest to not leave the feathers in the cage over night. I usually just give them a couple feathers in the cage and they always end up in their sleeping pouch. The feather boa I use doesn't get put in the cage either, the feathers are held onto boa's with several strands of ropes/twine twisted together that nails could get stuck in.

As for natural feathers it's also not suggested to just go pick up feathers outside from wild animals to avoid bringing lice or mites to your gliders. Craft store feathers are usually sterilized.

If you raise chickens or other birds you can sterilize the feathers yourself by soaking them very carefully in some warm sudsy water with dishwashing detergent, rinse, then let them air dry on a paper towel. Then stick them in the freezer for a couple of weeks to kill any mites that may be there.
Question
Jan 29 2015
03:23:43 AM
DobbieandDelilah Joey Visit DobbieandDelilah's Photo Album 33 Posts
dobbie and delilah ADORE feathers... second favorite toy to the cats' tails as they walk by the cage... if the cats go by the cage, delilah bounds to the front, grabbing a tail as they stroll by. The cat will look back at her little hands clutching the tail and just flick it out of her hands, leaving Delilah to wonder where her precious went...
Question
Jan 29 2015
08:12:43 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Lol, I have to pick up some feathers, I keep meaning to, but just haven't as of yet.
Feathers!?!??

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Feathers!?!??