Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wanting to Glider proof my bathroom?
Information
Jan 27 2015
11:52:39 PM
Hiya! I have a new glider, Nala, and I have been wanting to take her out for playtime, as she has gotten more comfortable around me recently. I don't have a tent (and I know that's the best option but there's no room in my apartment). I was told that the second best place would be a small enclosed space. I was thinking about using the bathroom. What are some ways that I can make the room a safe place for Nala to be? Anything I need to look out for to make sure she won't get hurt? Thanks in advance!
Information
Jan 28 2015
06:20:55 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I use the bathroom, more specifically just the shower Though you can use the entire bathroom, it just needs to be glider proofed.

Close the toilet, close all drains, check under counter tops for any any gaps or holes big enough for them to get into, if you find gaps or holes seal them up with something they can't get out easily. Check the gap above and below the bathroom door, you can use a towel or something to cover the gaps. Some people put outlet covers in any exposed outlets.

Don't be afraid to get down on the floor and have a look from their "point of view" like you would to baby proof a room for a toddler.

I just secure the shower curtain and sit in the tub with them And I made a fleece thing for in shower to give the more climbing surfaces

Information
Jan 28 2015
09:14:29 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Also, put away soaps, cleaners and shampoo...make sure there is no gunk from those on a surface (it happens). Put away anything that they can knock down. You'll be amazed where all these critters can go. Straight up the door molding, etc. LOL
Information
Jan 28 2015
01:20:54 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Sounds like everything has been covered.

Toilet lid down. Close drains.

Check for and cover/secure any holes in walls, cracks under and over door, and depending on heating, I had baseboard so I had to cover it with fleece.

Remove any razors, soap, and object that can get knocked or pulled down that could cause injury or even just a big mess to clean up, lol.

Wipe surfaces of any human grooming residue.

For lighting, a night light or lighting with colored bulbs. I took an old Bathroom Dixie Cup dispenser we weren't using and took out the springs, then tucked small strand of LED colored Christmas lights inside. LED I believe do not get as hot, and the opaque of the Dixie Cup holder (white, long rectangle) diffused the light really well. It didn't look too bad either and I could see where my babies were at all times. Avoid bright lighting.

I loved using the bathroom for out of cage play. When I had my own place, I had it set up in a flash. They had more space and things to explore and could climbed to heights not possible in the tent and glide to me. They had such a blast whether I took toys in (sometimes I didn't) or not because there was so much to do, climb, jump from or glide from. They were super active and didn't get bored and bite my ears (cough, cough, Ollie, cough) like what happens during tent time. Unfortunately I cannot and have not been able to use a bathroom for their out of cage time and am limited to the limitations of a play tent. Although, it's not that bad, just more awkward for me and less of everything for them, but hey, at least they're out of the cage and can roam free on and around me, and that's what's it all about.

Make a checklist, prepare and enjoy!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders