Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
bonding with adults
bonding with adults
Health related
Feb 11 2015
09:31:06 AM
Hello I'm new to this website. I'm getting two sugar gliders I have done a lot of research like a ton! I also had my mom order some books on sugar gliders. I'm 17 and I was looking for a pet to love and somthing to give me some responsibility I'm great with animals and kids im a huge animal lover. Rather its reptiles mamals fish. I love them all. So anyways I was looking for some and the cost is just too much I know you have to get two and thats like 300-400$ for two not counting supplies cages and all. So I decided to go on craigslist and find some that will be a pair come with a cage and everything you need for way cheaper. I found the perfect two a mother and a son the mom is about a year and half old and the son is about 7 months I know all about bonding and stuff but I saw that bonding with older gliders isn't the same as younger ones so my question is would I be able to bond with these two until I save enough to buy a actual babie for better bonding I'll still love the other two but I want one I can really bond with. And if the baby bonded with me more than the other two will, will the baby show the others our bond and they'll bond more with me? Or is the they want bond like they would as babies a lie? also would long till I bring them home can I start bonding by bringing them out they're going to be in my room, I know they can be loud but its the best place for them. Also would my tv annoy them I sleep with my tv on not super loud it just helps me fall asleep. Would the light bother them?
Health related
Feb 11 2015
10:31:58 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Hi.

First, if you could take the time to read the link below, it will help you understanding your gliders better and how they feel:

www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/922929/Building_a_Relationship_with_y#Post922929

Second, about bonding with babies vs bonding with adults. It is a lie that a baby will bond better than an adult. Each glider is different, and they will bond at different paces and degrees. The claim is that an adult glider may already be bonded to someone else, but that doesn't mean they can't bond to anyone else; they will miss their previous human and other gliders (if they were housed with other gliders), but with time they will overcome that and get attached to their new owner. There is also the possibility that older gliders have been mistreated and therefore are more wary of humans, but with love and patience, you can teach them to trust you. As for babies, they tend to be more scared at first, which can make the bonding process harder, not easier. You just have to get to know them and understand that they each are different.

There will always be a glider that is braver than the other(s), and will take initiative in coming to you; usually the shier gliders will follow his/her example and eventually they will come to you and bond with you. Again, just understand that they are different.

The first day or more it is recommended to leave them undisturbed in their new environment, so they can start getting used to it. If you want to keep them in their room, that is ok, just know that they can be noisy. The tv on is fine, just try to keep it away from them, so the light does not disturb them at much; they may be uncomfortable with it, but they can get used to it.

Now, I think that answers most of your questions; so if you don't mind me I'll like to add some more.

1. Is the male neutered? If he is not, he WILL mate with his mother and not only will you have to deal with joeys, you will have to deal with INBRED joeys.

2. What diet will you be offering? Gliders need a nectar like diet in combination with fruits and veggies. If you are not sure, you can find some of the more widely used diets below:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Diet

3. How big is the cage? The minimum cage size should be no less than 18" deep x 30" wide x 36" tall.

4. Do you have a glider-safe wheel? Gliders are very active critters and therefore need to have a wheel in their cage. But they also don't run in their wheels like other animals, so a hamster wheel won't be appropriate for them. Below is a list of safe wheels:

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?ExerciseWheels
www.humbertossugargliders.com/hwheelv2.0.html

5. Have you found a vet near you? Unlike most other pets, gliders don't require vaccinations, but they still need to be seen, at least yearly, by an exotic vet for a check up. You can find vets near you using this database:

www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Sugar_Glider_Vet_Database/

I am not trying to be annoying, just trying to cover the basics.

Congratulation on your new babies and good luck.
Health related
Feb 11 2015
10:51:20 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I will second what rustypossumfart has already said. And add that even if you buy gliders that come with everything, cage, wheel etc... Everything they come with may need replaced, costing you more in the long run.

Cages can be a pricey start up cost and people often think they will avoid buying a new cage by buying a complete set up off craigslist.

Fact is most cages that come this way aren't in great shape, or are to small for gliders. A lot of the time people use small birdcages or hamster cages which are entirely to small. The condition of the cages also need to be looked at as some of them have pretty bad erosion and rust on the bars that can hurt gliders feet. In the end you still maybe buying a new cage for them to improve their living conditions.

Wheels, sometimes Craigslist gliders don't even have a wheel or if they do it's a dangerous wheel that can break tails or backs or even cause fatal injuries to a glider. So again, in the end you may end up having to buy or replace the wheel with a glider safe wheel.

So if your going to consider this pair, maybe do a home visit with them first and see what exactly you are getting. It might be cheaper to start with all new stuff to begin with.

If the male glider is not neutered that is another expense right off the bat.

Another option that you can consider is adopting from a glider rescue. A reputable rescue usually only charges what they have invested into the gliders. Freeing up some of your finances to buy the necessary accessories. They are not out to make a profit or recoup expenses for cages and such. In most cases the gliders are already paired up and neutered if need be and checked by a vet. It's a cost effective way to buy healthy bonded gliders and also helps the gliders at the same time. Just something to think about if you have a rescue in your area...

Edited by - Leela on Feb 11 2015 11:00:12 AM
Health related
Feb 11 2015
12:32:07 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Thumbs up to all of the great advice above.

Often (not always) Craigslist gliders aren't in the best of health or may have been kept in a situation which will quickly lead to medical problems causing you expensive vet bills. With first time gliders it is sometimes hard for a person to really be able to tell if they are in good shape. Make sure, as suggested, that you try to set up a time that the Seller can meet with you and be prepared to be impartial to their cute faces and really look at their overall health (eyes, nose, ears, fur, tails) and also take a good look at how they've been housed and what they've been fed. Don't go with the anticipation of taking them home no matter what.

The rescue group idea is an excellent one as there are SO many gliders that need good homes.

There are just so many horror stories (along with positive ones) about getting gliders off Craigslist. I know this from personal experience as well.
Health related
Feb 14 2015
09:39:30 PM
Herocoats Starting Member 4 Posts
Hello:) I'm not an expert, however I do have experience with older gliders. When I got my gliders they were about 6 months old, my male bonded to me right away, he loved me with everything he had(sadly he recently passed away a couple of days ago.) however my girl is still not as bonded with me as she could be, shes more scared and nervous. I think that it really depends on the glider and the previous owner, and it depends on how much time and commitment you put into them, if you get them, don't see them for a week, then they'll never bond, but if you show them that you want to be their new mommy, you need to try and be with them everyday, for as long as you can. Also the tv thing, Idk if that would really effect the glider, they are used to running around in dark environments, and the blinding light could later on possibly effect there eyes. Also if they are in your room, they are quite the little stinkers, they like to throw their food and poop out of their cage. And if you have them out in your room, they will pee and poop on you, and it will trickle down to the floor. In my experience the males do happen to smell a tad more than female, if they aren't neutered, which should be done at a young age... And will stink up your room, but like I said it depends on the glider, and the owner. Good luck and have fun!:)
bonding with adults

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
bonding with adults