Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
bonding stages or signs suggies are getting bonded to you?
Question
Feb 14 2015
09:05:57 PM
Okay first off happy valentines day hope you all had a good day. I did im a new parent of two sugar gliders! Charolette and wilbur mom and son. And no the male isnt nuetered but I plan on doing it real soon! Hes only about 7 months. Okay so I got them from a lady off craigslist I know I know craigslist is effy with animals. But I just want to say the lady was sweet she had two kids and I could tell she loved her gliders but due to work she didnt have enough time for them. She said they didnt hold them a whole lot so that puts in longer time for bonding hopefully not. Well we had to drive to get them and they sat in my lap the whole way home. When we were there she took there pouch out and let us look at them they crabbed some okay the male crabbed quite alot but thats normal new people being woke up. And he bit me hadnt even got home and he bit me kinda my fault I was holding the pouch and there was a hole my finger was by I didnt know but boy did he. So the way home they slept most the time and we got home I set up there cage which isnt the biggest but I plan on buying them a huge one im spoil them cause I think there the cutest creatures alive and I love them so much already! So about a lil ago wilbur came out to eat and we met me for real this time hes scared but thats a no brainer. But I sat on the floor by the cage to kinda watch him and he went to the cage near me acouple times and then momma came out and I had a pieace of apple I kinda held between the bars and she came over and licked it and was really close to my hand. Are those good signs? And what are the signs and stages of bonding? How can I tell when there okay enough to let in my room and how do I tell when there 100% bonded?
Question
Feb 15 2015
10:11:36 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Welcome and congrats on being a new suggie parent.

At 7 months your male is capable of mating, you've already addressed getting him neutered but make it an asap item. Take both in for a well check and to make sure your female isn't already pregnant.

It's typical for them to be curious enough to check you out through the cage, especially when you have a treat. As to knowing when they're 'really bonded'...It just comes along slowly until you know their behaviors and mannerisms so well that there is a trust going both ways. After adding a 3rd glider to my girls a couple weeks ago I suddenly realized just how bonded I was with the girls and how much work it took to get there. I had come to take it for granted.

Spending a couple hours with them in a bonding pouch during the day while they are asleep is the best start, other than taking time sitting by the cage and talking to them softly and offering treats like you are doing. Give them some time to get comfortable and settle in their new home first. I talk to them softly while they're in the pouch so that they get used to my voice and movements and associating it with a safe and comfortable situation while they sleep/rest. A more confined place is easier for out of cage time with new gliders rather than a whole room. Some people use a tent, which is great because there is less room for them to go too far and they will be easier for you to get back into their pouch when play time is over. Some people also use a glider proofed bathroom instead of a tent. Be sure that everything that may fall and all personal care products are put away. Wipe up any soap residues. Close the toilet. Check every nook and cranny for any space bigger than a half in that they could squeeze into and block it up.

Don't be dismayed that during out of cage time they typically will be more interested in running around and checking out their surroundings. Day time bonding gives you cuddle time, night play time is for them to get their exercise, etc. Once you have established a comfortable bond so that you can easily get them to and from their cage and are very familiar with their personalities and habits you could then move on to a larger glider proofed room.

Each glider has their own personality and will bond on their own time schedule. It may likely take months to get to what is a 'true bond'. They will become more comfortable with you before this and the biting may stop during this time but, the full trust takes awhile.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders