Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
please help! very confused and don't want to lose another glider...
Health related
Feb 14 2015
09:25:58 PM
Hello, my name is Herocoats, and I have 2 gliders, both of them females. However I literally just got a new baby glider a few days ago, due to my male glider dying for something that was unknown...I do think it may have had to be because of his diet.. Or he could have been secretly ill....idk. Anyway My old glider Sky, has always been a little anti social, she would run to the back of the cage when i'd come in, and go under her pouch.(keep in mind that i did get her at an older age, from another owner.) But when I come in there and kinda persuade her she'll come on me and won't be scared/nervous anymore. She is more nervous around me. Her and the male, (his name was Calibur.) were very close, the came together and were together for a year all together. But they never did have a baby... Ok ok, i'm sorry thats some backround on the subject. OK so, Sky, was nervous and hard to got to bond with, but she never really was aggressive, until lately, I'd go into her pouch and kinda reach in slowly and pet her and maybe pick her up to play(at night, unknown also why she is still sleeping) But she bit me, hard and crabbed. Idk what to think of it. Also a couple days ago, before I went to school i checked on her at around 6 in the morning, when they are still up. But she was in a different pouch (she has a set pouch on the wall that she is always in, and she was in one that was on the ground that I use for food catchers, etc, that she never really touches.) And was laying in there, she wasn't really moving much, and as i tried to touch her she crabbed and bit me hard... she was also in that ground pouch the next day. But (this was tonight) I got her out,(after I laid my hand in and got bit) and she was crawling around, went in my shirt and was acting normal, until she went poop...she hissed a little bit and then pooped, and when she did her anus was red, but then when the poop left her anus the red kinda sucked back in, could this be a pregnant thing? are these pregnant type symptoms? or no? they've only been happening lately (KEEP IN MIND THAT THE MALE PASSED AWAY LAST WEEK, AND I GOT ANOTHER BABY A COUPLE DAYS AGO, DUE TO IT BEING REALLY CLOSE. If that helps?) I really don't want to lose another sugar glider:( it was devastating losing my male.... I really don't want to lose my female too.. So someone please help!! Thats really all I can think of right now... my head is racing and idk if I could be missing anything
Health related
Feb 14 2015
09:53:35 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
if your sugar glider hisses while trying to urinate or defecate, then it’s definitely time to find a vet. Intestinal blockages (constipation) will make the sugar glider strain when they are trying to defecate and they often hiss while straining. Hissing during urination could also indicate difficulty and is often the sign that people notice when their sugar glider has a urinary tract infection or some other condition causing the difficulty.

Hissing during normal play is just fine. But hissing while pooping could be a sign of a blockage.

She needs to go to a vet. Especially considering her cage mate just died of unknown causes.

Edited by - Leela on Feb 14 2015 09:56:53 PM
Health related
Feb 14 2015
10:49:54 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Since you do not know what caused the male's death, it is important that you have the female checked by a glider experienced vet to make sure she is healthy. Fecal testing for parasites should also be done to make sure that is not an issue.

Have you already introduced the new joey to Sky? If so that could be a reason for the change in her behavior. It is never a good idea to bring home a new glider and immediately put it in the cage with another glider with out gradually introducing them both to the other glider's scent and doing careful introductions.

Your new joey should also have a well check up with a vet. If the two gliders are already sharing a cage or have had direct contact with each other - if either has parasites, you will need to medicate both gliders.

If the two gliders are not already in the same cage, the presence of another glider in your home could still be contributing to Sky's change in attitude. She may be biting you because she smells the other glider's scent on your hands.
Health related
Feb 15 2015
04:25:46 PM
Herocoats Starting Member 4 Posts
thank you guys so much, I think I've made a decision to take them to the vet when I can', I need to find one in my area and I need to start having a an annual check up.... As bad as that sounds... And I have not placed both with eacother yet, and I might wait on it until I know what's up with sky, and I think I should have both checked out just to make sure they are healthy
Health related
Feb 16 2015
07:30:39 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
i agree...

the best thing to do is get Both glider looked at. (Sky needs to go ASAP)

*call around and find one get her seen. Might want to check out care credit if you dont have the money to pay for a vet visit!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders