Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Two Brothers Mating or Fighting??
Behavior
Feb 15 2015
07:41:31 PM
We have two make sugar gliders that are brothers. They are roughly 11 or 12 weeks old and have been with each other since birth. We have only had them for a couple of weeks.

Just recently one of them would get on top of the other and bite his neck. I read that this was a mating sign. But I also read that it may be a dominance issue. They are not crabbing or hard core fighting, they just are hissing at each other.

Should I be worried and are they okay to be with each other in the cage ?

Thank you!
Behavior
Feb 15 2015
10:51:41 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If they are both intact, they may be beginning to mature and one is claiming dominance over the other.

It would be a good idea to get both neutered so they will continue to get along. It will also reduce the smell of two intact male gliders - each trying to out mark the other.
Behavior
Feb 16 2015
07:27:46 AM
NerdyHails Face Hugger Visit NerdyHails's Photo Album NerdyHails's Journal FL, USA 566 Posts
i agree with candy on this!

If you plan on keeping them together getting them neutered is the best idea

Behavior
Feb 16 2015
10:48:16 AM
Slinscott Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you both very much! Can they really hurt each other if we do not get them neutered this week?
Behavior
Feb 16 2015
11:56:42 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Be sure to check each of them daily for any bites or cuts. They are probably establishing dominance but there is always a chance one might get bitten. If they keep fighting, you might want to separate them until you can get them neutered then give them a few days to heal before re-introducing them during the day time - when they are most likely to snuggle up to sleep together for the day.
Behavior
Feb 16 2015
01:01:44 PM
meganp1130 Joey Visit meganp1130's Photo Album 31 Posts
If he's biting the other's neck, it's possible that he could break the skin and cause an infection. Luckily this is usually a quick fix but it could require a trip to the vet for antibiotics.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders