Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
mealworms
mealworms
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
09:42:23 AM
At what age can my little guy eat mealworms? My suggie is little over 2 months old.
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
09:59:36 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
At 8 weeks out of pouch they are just on the cusp of being able to be independent...most breeders consider this to be the youngest that a joey can go to a new home. You could offer the very small ones (they come in different sizes). He might be either afraid of them if he hasn't seen them or not interested at first. If so, maybe cut them into a couple pieces and try to offer as a treat? Once they get a taste for them they can't get enough! (most gliders, anyway)
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
10:08:43 AM
audrey0624 Glider Visit audrey0624's Photo Album IN, USA 75 Posts
Ya, I got him right at 8 weeks OOP. I will try this weekend with him and see what he does! Thank you
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
01:21:37 PM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Another thing you may want to consider, and this is not intended at all to freak you out or anything, is the concern some people have with aflatoxins, more information below:

www.suzsugargliders.com/aflatoxins.htm

The main thing to have in mind is to try to avoid getting mealworms from petstores and the likes, given how they usually don't give good care to their insect, or animals in general; and they are more likely to offer their mealworms corn that could be contaminated. You can try finding something around you that you can trust, or you could order online from one of the sites below that guarantee their mealworms are free of aflatoxins:

www.grubco.com/index.cfm
vita-mealie.weebly.com/

Gliders can eat mealworms at 8 weeks OOP, as Blue mentioned, they may not seem interested at first, but that doesn't mean they won't like them, cutting them into pieces is a good idea, though. I have fed Grubco's Mighty Mealies (the biggest ones they have) to very young gliders (around 8 weeks OOP too) and they didn't seem to have a problem with them, but they were also getting some "help" from their parents (more like parents taking advantages of their babies )
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
01:43:13 PM
audrey0624 Glider Visit audrey0624's Photo Album IN, USA 75 Posts
Thanks for the web links!
mealworms

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
mealworms