Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
BML fruits & veggies help
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
11:36:28 AM
Hi! New glider parents here....and I've got the same topic I notice with every new parent...diet!!! We were given Exotic Nutrition's high protein instant sugar glider food to start, but after reading everything we thought that might not be the best. Decided to switch to the BML diet and have been following it exactly with no variations. Yogurt now and then for a treat, and yogurt drops every now and then too. My question is what to do about fruits and veggies. Our two are very picky. They'll only eat corn (I've tried the other veggies in all sorts of variations), and they don't seem to eat much of the fruit..apples definitely, but everything else just a bite here or there. Our recent vet visit showed that they are both healthy..so, not overly concerned - but we want them to be happy and stay healthy. Can I subsitute the fruits and veggies for others on the approved list as long as the Ca:P ratio is the same? They get mealies as a snack, can they get other snacks? Thanks for the help!
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
11:49:22 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
The BML feeding plan is very restrictive and requires the Frozen mixed vegetables daily to balance the amount of calcium supplement in the staple recipe.

You might look at my web page - I have several recipes that can be use with my feeding plan which allows a free choice of fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables. One of the recipes (GliderKids Leadbeaters) is similar to BML but has a more moderate amount of calcium in the staple so it does not require high phosphorus vegetables daily for balance.

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
01:23:43 PM
WinterHope Starting Member 4 Posts
Thanks, Candy! Couple of questions (sorry, just nervous about making mistakes!)... The calcium, must it be Now brand, or can I use the RepCal calcium that I have from the BML recipe? Also, any fruits and veggies? or should I try to keep a 2:1 ratio?
Food, Diet
Feb 17 2015
01:37:53 PM
audrey0624 Glider Visit audrey0624's Photo Album IN, USA 75 Posts
In your GliderKids Leadbeaters recipe, is the 1 TBS frozen mixed vegetables reguired like in the BML or can it be any vegetables? Since the BML requires the mixed vegetables, which is high in phosphorus, is it a good diet for gliders?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders