Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
cooking
cooking
Health related
Feb 25 2015
06:25:09 PM
What does everybody cook with? I've heard not to use non stick pots and pans, that the fumes are deadly to suggies. Is it the Teflon that is bad with the non stick? does nonstick include baking, cookie sheets? I don't know what any of my pans or baking sheets are coated with. I don't use Teflon tho cause its bad for us humans! What should I look for when buying new pans?
Health related
Feb 25 2015
07:28:02 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I've heard that was the case with birds, now aware about any other animals. I don't think it matters if the animals are not near the kitchen, mine have always been in bedrooms.
Health related
Feb 27 2015
02:03:42 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Our gliders are in the living room which is right next to the kitchen. We live in an apartment with an open kitchen. I cook with a cast iron skillet or teflon coated pots. I was told by the breeder not to have them in the bonding pouch cooking with teflon coated cookware, but if they are in their cage it's okay.

As for being bad for us, it isn't really. The amount of time that my food spends in a skillet is not enough to cause a problem. It would be different if I cooked things at extremely high heat for extended periods of time, but I don't. It's only at extremely high heat that it begins to be a problem.
So I don't worry about it for the gliders. Besides, they can't go in our room, so this is really the only option.
Health related
Feb 27 2015
02:33:54 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
my cage is pretty much in the kitchen, were in an Rv so my options are very limited. I think I only have one coated pan and I rarely use it.

The rest of my pots and pans are the same metal inside, as the bottom of the pans I'd have to look them up to see what they are made of but there is no coating on them. They're actually my favorite pans they clean up really easy, even the baked on stuff comes right off lol.
Health related
Feb 27 2015
02:46:14 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
well hmm, I looked them up and they are a non stick pan that uses QuanTanium. That's probably why nothing sticks to them I will say this, the cage has been in the same spot since June, and we have had no issues at all. The bird page I just read said the fumes can kill a bird almost instantly, so I'm guessing the gliders aren't as sensitive or these pans don't bother them. The maker is "Members Mark"

Edited by - Leela on Feb 27 2015 02:47:46 PM
Health related
Feb 27 2015
03:15:02 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I take no chances...human or otherwise. I use ceramic or the new 'Green Pans'. The only thing that I actually 'cook' for them is boiled chicken, boiled or scrambled eggs. Oh, I did experiment with a little fish one time. And I experimented with a half batch staple with chicken livers for the meat protein which was a HUGE hit. So gross looking when I'm cooking it. And I feel like I need to tell the cashier that it isn't for human consumption.
Health related
Feb 28 2015
08:33:15 PM
astockd1 Face Hugger Visit astockd1's Photo Album 478 Posts
What I read about teflon/nonstick is that the fumes released into the air while the pan is hot are toxic, but there is nothing in the food itself that is toxic, as the toxic chemicals stabilize or whatever when it cools from hot. I don't even know what I cook with, but we usually just boil their food.
Health related
Mar 01 2015
05:30:50 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
actually, with telon/nonstick, the problems in the food start arising as soon as the coating is not intact, a simple ray is enough to make chemicals and particles migrate from the pan to the food, and both are considered cancerigen. The fumes are also indeed toxic (but the same is true with most fumes and depends a lot more on what is cooked rather than on what it is cooked).

I only use steel pans, no nonstick coating whatsoever.

Edited by - sjusovare on Mar 01 2015 05:34:18 AM
Health related
Mar 02 2015
10:27:41 AM
audrey0624 Glider Visit audrey0624's Photo Album IN, USA 75 Posts
Thank you all. I'm not worried about the food since I don't and haven't cooked anything for my little guy, except hard boiled eggs. I am worried about the fumes. I heard same thing that if it's high heat, that's when the fumes could be toxic. My kitchen is open, next to my living room too and his cage is actually upstairs in loft that is open to the living room. I have a few stainless steel pans and a few teflon pans - i think I will just get rid of the teflon and not take any chances....with 4 kids and my husband, sometimes I do have to cook on high heat to hurry dinner up for their hungry bellies! LOL
Health related
Mar 02 2015
11:49:12 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Oh yes...4 kids and a husband requires some kitchen skills! Through the years I've built up a good selection of...well, pretty much everything. I couldn't love my Green Pan skillets and ceramic skillets any more than I do! Especially when it comes time for clean up. I especially hate scrubbing after making scrambled eggs and the like. Now I don't have to!
cooking

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
cooking