Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Emergency: prolapsed uterus(?)/rectum(?) Help Please!
Health related
Mar 02 2015
01:18:39 AM
First of all, I'm sitting in the waiting room at the emergency vet right now. There is not an exotics expert here now, so they're talking about stabilizing her and getting her to an exotic vet tomorrow. Sadly, my exotic office vet is closed on Mondays.

I did a forum search for prolapse and come up with only genitaliaes. Anyone know about this happening in females? Could be rectum or uterus.

The emergency vet said she didn't know if this was something that could be treated or if it would be time for euthanasia.
Health related
Mar 02 2015
02:36:40 AM
PixiePaige Joey GliderMap 42 Posts
The emergency vet is doing surgery now and they'll call me in a couple hours. I will get her in the morning and transport her to an exotic vet. Don't know which one yet since mine is closed Mondays. (I'm in the Seattle area, btw) The thought is that the exotic vet will open her up again and examine things tomorrow and see what's going on and what needs to be done, but that more tissue will survive the night inside her than out.

This started around 9pm when they woke up tonight. I have red light in the room and I saw something small and assumed she was popping. I looked a moment later and it was larger and very moist, so I thought diarrhea? I looked a couple moments later and it was large, so I turned on the light and it definitely looked like a prolapsed something. I immediately called the emergency vet and headed in! I was shaking!

The only mention online of prolapsed rectum in a glider said it could happen after straining with diarrhea. But there hasn't been any. In fact, there was a solid stool mixed with the blood.

I'm so worried. I wish I could have just taken her to an exotic vet in the first place.
Health related
Mar 02 2015
09:43:00 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm so sorry. Please keep us posted on her surgery and recovery. Thankfully you've done the right thing to get her to ER asap. You've given her a chance!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders