Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
safe metal
safe metal
Question
Mar 02 2015
10:55:23 AM
Might be a silly and weird question....what metal/wire is safe? I know no powdered coated metals, but what about just a plain metal with no coating, nothing on it at all? Why I'm asking is I'm building a bigger cage, well my husband is and got idea from here on PVC cages. we have started the PVC piping frame and the plastic mesh that others have used just isn't the strength I'm looking for. I have tons of toys/items that go on the side of the cage with little washers and screws that tighten on to the metal cage now and won't work with the plastic mesh (I don't think) so I'm just trying to figure a way for all this to work. Stick to the mesh or try a metal from a hardware store? Any ideas?
Question
Mar 02 2015
11:53:45 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I don't know if that was a typo...but, powder covered metals are extremely good choices. Many folks have the cages such as the Congo, Madagascar, Brisbane...etc. Bare metal will react with glider pee (which we know is strong stuff!) and can cause a toxic reaction, let alone rusting badly. Stainless works. PVC coated metal is debatable because some PVC is toxic and the packaging on these products isn't clearly marked as to taking a chance on it. I think there are metals covered in plastic, in the same fashion as PVC coating, but I haven't seen it in the stores. Stainless or nylon for your bolts, etc. is the best way to go in that regard.
Question
Mar 02 2015
12:33:14 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Metal should be coated in something safe for sugar gliders, unless it's stainless steel, I wouldn't use any bare metal.

I understand about the mesh, it will be too flimsy for such as you're speaking of, so lets do some brainstorming.

See if there is a way to have your metal wire powdered coated anywhere near you that won't be too expensive. There may be places that can and will be able to do that near you.

Check into ideas for stabilizing where you may want to hang such items on the plastic mesh if you cannot find a way to provide safe coated wire. This will take a lot of brainstorming and thinking outside the box.

Here are a couple of ideas that come to mind, but I've never made such structures so it may not be as easy as I would think.

Some people who have built these custom cages, build in pvc shelves, or wheel mounts and some other imaginative structures. Also, extra reinforcement between corners if it's large enough. Maybe you can figure a way to make a pvc enforcement or structure that can have the holes drilled to attach these toys to.

If your cage is large enough, I've seen some people use coated shelving inside, these are sturdy and may provide a way to mount those toys from. or figure a way to install a structure that is sturdy enough, even if you have to make the structure yourself.

Using stainless hardware, you can use eye-hooks or such and have them mounted into the frame where you can secure a panel/wall of your existing cage to safely on one side or along the back. I suggest trying it in a way that you can remove it for deep cage cleaning.

I'm just tossing ideas out there, they may or may not work or be something you want to try. The main purpose is to get you on a brainstorm and see if any of these ideas will spark something you can and want to do.

Wish you the best of luck, please let us know what you come up with.

Question
Mar 02 2015
12:48:38 PM
audrey0624 Glider Visit audrey0624's Photo Album IN, USA 75 Posts
Oh, I thought I read somewhere no powdered coating or I read it wrong....I read soooo much stuff! Thanks for clearing that up!
The cage will be 32 x 24 x 64, this is just cage space; will be elevated off floor a little with drop pan. I also thought of the drilling holes in the pipes to hang the toys which could work with the hooks, etc...I'll have to test on pipe before inclosing the cage. I haven't bought the plastic mesh or metal yet so I'll shop around at all hardware stores to see what each has then decide. I do have one built in shelf in the frame, maybe I'll add another one...
Thanks for the brainstorming ideas - my mind has been running non-stop on this! I will post once it's done!
Heard anything about chicken cage/coop wire? I don't know what it is coated with or made of but my parents have tons of it so that'd save me money if it's safe, but I'm not using anything unless it is safe!
Question
Mar 02 2015
01:14:12 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I think the chicken coop wire is (usually) bare with a pot metal mixture and most likely zinc. That's one concern. Another is that most of it that I've seen has the circular or hexagonal holes, that are most likely large enough for a glider to squeeze through.
Question
Mar 02 2015
08:17:23 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Powder coating is very safe. This is the finish on most of the widely used glider cages sold by Exotic Nutrition.

It is the PVC Coated wire that has been associated with toxicity in gliders. As said above - there may be safe brands but it is not clearly labeled so I would not use any of it.

You can get Powder Coated wire from Martin's cages (they replaced the PVC Coated wire with glider safe Powder Coated wire after so many gliders died due to the toxic cages.)
I expect that option would be very expensive and it may require a special order to get the size panels you need.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/sugar/

Stainless Steel would be safe, sturdy and - EXPENSIVE

http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh-material/welded-stainless-mesh/1-x-1-2-mesh

Most wire sold in hardware stores is galvanized. The galvanized wire cannot be used for gliders because of the risk of zink poisoning. It usually also has a rough surface that may cut a glider's hands, feet or even belly as the crawl on the cage surface.

Standard chicken wire definitely has holes that are too large. Gliders can get their heads through the 1 inch holes - and would either get their bodies through also or possibly get stuck with their head in the wire. Chicken wire is also galvanized.

Question
Mar 03 2015
02:46:07 PM
I shopped around a little last night and yes, so far at my hardware stores all the wire is galvanized so can't get that. Stainless steel is pretty expensive - ouch! I still have a few more places I have to check out.
Thanks everyone.
Question
Mar 10 2015
08:15:34 AM
I have decided to go ahead and do the cage with the mesh. All wire is galvanized at all my hardware stores around me and I can't afford getting stainless steel We have built in a few shelves and put a few holes in various places in the pipes for more toys. I think all will work well. I had to order another pipe connector online so we haven't finished it yet but in a few days! YAY!
Will post once done!
Question
Mar 10 2015
12:37:25 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the completed cage.
safe metal

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
safe metal