Mar 06 2015
09:17:34 PM
denparkin Glider Visit denparkin's Photo Album ON, CA 154 Posts
HOLY $#!T!
Health related
Mar 06 2015
09:35:15 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
We have been trying to politely explain as firmly as possible the dangers of these wheels. I think this one goes above and beyond anything that our mere words and related experiences could convey. This truly should be added to the gliderpedia. It's about time this has been brought to factual evidence that these wheels are NOT for gliders!!!!

Appalling and heart wrenching!!!!!!!!!

Health related
Mar 07 2015
04:21:06 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
That is heartbreaking. I wonder if Pocket Pets is still selling those wheels?
Health related
Mar 07 2015
05:34:35 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by jdching

That is heartbreaking. I wonder if Pocket Pets is still selling those wheels?

They are still as far as I know I will be forwarding this to my wife and removing and tossing the one for the glider at work ( it was given to us so think this will be enough to warrant it being pulled.

To the OP I will be copying this to post on my facebook and sending to my friends to warn about these wheels.
Health related
Mar 07 2015
06:33:30 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Horribly disturbing pictures. I'll admit I still had a wodent wheel in my small cage...my husband said we'd had it this long with no problems and didn't really think anything could happen. It is definitely gone now. Those pictures helped convince him. Now, if I could somehow unsee those images. Thanks, though. I feel better (not worried) already.
Health related
Mar 07 2015
10:48:01 PM
Cora1 Face Hugger GliderMap Visit Cora1's Photo Album TX, USA 935 Posts
ATTENTION:::: This is not my glider. Anyone saying it is is lying. Please dont make assumptions if you dont know the truth. this post was a warning period.
Health related
Mar 08 2015
07:16:13 AM
PixiePaige Joey GliderMap 42 Posts
Oh no!!!
Admittedly, I'm looking at this on my small phone screen, but I can't tell what actually happened.
Could someone explain?
Health related
Mar 08 2015
08:31:45 AM
wildhammer10 Starting Member 2 Posts
Mine came with a plastic sleeve that goes around the axle that would definitely prevent this. Hard to tell but it doesn't look like this wheel comes with this option. I wouldn't burn every Wodent Wheel because there may be different models that don't have the type of protection that I have explained. Regardless of my opinion on Wodent Wheel, this is still a very tragic event and I am very sorry that this happened.
Health related
Mar 08 2015
08:36:48 AM
BCChins Super Glider 219 Posts
Protector or not the wheel is not safe. If those protectors get food or sticky stuff on them they can jam and cause death. WHY take a chance when there are safe wheels.
Do not chance your gliders life by being lead to believe the protector will make this wheel safe. Of course they will tell you it is safe they want to sell tier wheels.

Health related
Mar 08 2015
08:39:35 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I had one with this plastic tube you're talking about, and if it effectively prevents from that kind of accident, it brings others, like broken backs for instance because they don't have room enough to jump inside the wheel, without even considering that in case of speeding they end up trying to get out of it and doing so, potentially hurt themselves on the outside pin holding the wheel to the axis.
Health related
Mar 08 2015
11:11:31 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
Mine came with a plastic sleeve that goes around the axle that would definitely prevent this.

It appears this glider's fur on its side stuck to the axle and wound the skin around the axle trapping the glider.

The plastic sleeve sold for the wodent wheel would offer some protection for this type of injury but it also severely restricts the glider's movement within the wheel and allows only running.

Gliders need to be able to stretch out and jump - their natural movement from tree to tree - not just walk or run. Wodent wheels were initially designed for rats, mice and hamsters (rodents) that primarily run, not jump to move the wheel.

The manufacturer of Wodent Wheels recommends that gliders us the wheel ONE AT A TIME and only under SUPERVISION. I do not think supervising your gliders use of the wheel all night long is feasible and I am POSITIVE my gliders would not willingly follow the one at a time rule.

This is how my gliders use Stealth Wheels - all night long One jumping and the others shareing the ride then they switch places.

Health related
Mar 08 2015
01:35:21 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I wish I could unsee it as well, but it's worth the disturbance imo if it persuades others to see the dangers these wheels hold for sugar gliders.

Now these wheels may be perfectly safe for other animals, I couldn't say which ones, but the best place for one of these in a glider's cage (if it must be) is flat on the cage floor as a ball pit.

Health related
Mar 08 2015
05:16:24 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Man, I hated cleaning that wodent wheel, it would get so nasty, so fast! That was the first thing I replaced after I found this site a couple of years ago.
Health related
Mar 08 2015
05:25:13 PM
PixiePaige Joey GliderMap 42 Posts
@Candy - Thanks for answering my question. I couldn't unsee the picture but I couldn't figure out what happened.

@TJones - I like the idea of using it as a ball pit and that is an adorable picture.

Here's my situation. I adopted/rescued my gliders when they were about 2 years old. I've had them for almost 5 years since then. The previous owner gave me 2 wodent wheels along with their filthy cage and the bird seed (!) she had been feeding them. About 6 months later I heard about how Stealth Wheels were better and got one of those. My little girl loved it and definitely preferred it and did the leaping action. The boy had always still preferred the Wodent Wheel and he doesn't leap even in the Stealth. I feel so bad about taking his favorite toy away!!! Especially since his mate of 7 years just passed last week! I'm afraid it would be too much change at once. (And, yes, I have begun the search to find him a friend and he had a wellness appt scheduled this week).
Health related
Mar 08 2015
07:50:18 PM
Dalton63841 Glider Visit Dalton63841's Photo Album 51 Posts
I'll be honest... The cost of a good sugar glider wheel was a hard pill to swallow, compared to other wheels, after all the money spent on everything else. Having read all the warnings though, I decided to heed them and spend the extra money. These pictures make me REALLY glad I did.

In other news, sugar gliders running in their wheel is literally the cutest thing I've ever seen! Of my two girls, one actually ran in it at first, but the other would get it moving, then leap from the back to the front. After a couple days, they were both doing that. Well, now one holds on tight on the outside while the other one is inside, and then they take turns, which is a whole other thing to protect for.

Edited by - Dalton63841 on Mar 08 2015 07:50:55 PM
Health related
Mar 08 2015
09:38:41 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
And that pitter patter sound of their feet in the wheel, adorable! I Love watching their wheel antics.
Health related
Mar 09 2015
07:40:12 AM
Jadeziaa Joey Visit Jadeziaa's Photo Album MD, USA 25 Posts
Oh my goodness, I saw the original post on a sugar glider Facebook group, and couldn't believe some of the comments. Some were saying they would still use this wheel because their gliders "liked them too much, and wouldn't use another wheel." I sincerely hope they were trolls :c I've never understood why anyone thinks this is a safe wheel for gliders. It would just be a huge pain to clean, honestly.

Poor baby. Hopefully other owners see this and remove the wheel, and other gliders are saved.
Health related
Mar 09 2015
07:16:29 PM
Haku Glider Visit Haku's Photo Album FL, USA 70 Posts
Thanks for sharing! My new glider I just bought came with a wodent wheel, I just went and bought a stealth!!! its on its way! Its so scary to think our little babies could get hurt like that, I couldnt bare to constantly worry something would happen so i went ahead and made the purchase. When it comes Ill be able to rest easy! Thanks so much for sharing, even though its very hard to look at, sharing this could have saved alot of gliders lives!!! RIP to the poor glider who this happened too
Health related
Mar 16 2016
07:42:33 PM
Gliders for life Starting Member 2 Posts
Hello this is my first time messaging and I am considering getting a glider(two if the story is true about them
Hurting themselves)and wanted the actual breakdown of cost diet and where I can get a Joey from a
Reliable and friendly breeder I have done my research and know most of what is bad for gliders
And what is good
Health related
Mar 16 2016
07:52:24 PM
NyxandBenny Glider Visit NyxandBenny's Photo Album AB, CA 166 Posts
Omg. So sorry#128557;
I was just looking at adding another wheel
But the only ones the store had in Stock had
A cross bar between the wheel. (A MAJOR PINCH POINT FOR ANY SMALL PET).
Health related
May 10 2017
01:16:33 AM
cloud4571 Starting Member Visit cloud4571's Photo Album 9 Posts
Ok so I seen this and pulled this out of my cage but looking at the stealth wheels they are screwed into the back would there be any harm in doing so,has anyone tried this?
Health related
Jul 15 2018
01:41:05 AM
ZooVeteran Joey 12 Posts
Hello,

Can someone tell me where are sold the cheapest safe wheels ?

Thank you.
Health related
Jul 18 2018
04:09:25 PM
keena127 Joey 24 Posts
Here is where I get my wheels for my suggies

Error, missing URL. e
Health related
Jul 18 2018
04:18:09 PM
ZooVeteran Joey 12 Posts
Error missing url ?

Thank you anyway <3
Health related
Jul 21 2018
04:07:31 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I have the stealth freedom wheel and I got it off amazon. It wasn't cheap, I'd say about average price for glider-safe wheels. It's a good wheel and my boys really like it. The company that makes them has good customer service as well.
Wodent Wheel Kills Glider

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Wodent Wheel Kills Glider