Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Does gender matter in rescuing?
Information
Mar 15 2015
12:23:57 PM
We posted our Josey on Sugar Glider Guardians, but as we continue to weigh our options, we have checked various places looking to get him a cage-mate. For a neutered 3-year-old male, would people recommend another neutered male or a female or either? He has only had a cage-brother and I know that an intact male isn't a good idea. What have been the experiences of people on this site? Any advantages/disadvantages of introducing one over the other?
Information
Mar 15 2015
12:50:35 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I don't know that it really matters between a neutered male or female, he may be used to having a male cage mate, so on his part either would be good. However, it may be slightly easier for a female for introduction, I can't say for certain. I will say a prayer that you find what's best for him.

I have personally only introduced a single, neutered male to a pair of females and it was successful.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 15 2015 12:52:24 PM
Information
Mar 15 2015
01:10:21 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
This will be short n sweet were fixn to go shopping..

One thing to consider when rescuing males is most of the time they aren't neutered, which can pose some problems when trying to introduce 2 male gliders.

So that is one thing to consider, then there is the added expense of getting the new one neutered if he is intact. So when considering buying new gliders that's a couple of things that weigh in for me.

I haven't had male pairs but I do know male colonies can be successful for me it's just that Simon needed a new home when we adopted him and he came to us already neutered. I didn't really have a gender preference when we got him though...
Information
Mar 15 2015
09:07:32 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
My friend Sam spoke to the rescue that is in upstate ny, she will actually be travelling to your area in the next couple days.

The 607 number is the rescue in ny if you want to give her a call. You don't have to give her the cage ( from my understanding ) but if you want to surrender the glider to her, she will take him and pick him up and will probably pair him up with another glider. It is up to you if you want to find him a new buddy and keep him or to rehome him, if you want to rehome him this is probably the safest option to ensure he goes to a good home. I hope this helps some

Edited by - Leela on Mar 15 2015 09:19:40 PM
Information
Mar 15 2015
09:18:43 PM
I guess the rescue in ny is going to take the colony of 15 and make pairs so one more glider would actually help her pair all of them up, so your guy would def be paired up as quick as possible!
Information
Mar 16 2015
05:08:06 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm just curious but where in NY? I'm from NY and sometimes get people who want me to take their gliders but I can't so it would be great to know if that's near where I live. Thanks!
Information
Mar 16 2015
07:47:27 AM
I am not positive of the exact town, but from the area code of the phone number it's in the southern tier (western ny ) which is where I grew up the major city would be Buffalo. Her website is under construction but here's the link and the phone number is above. http://trinastinytreasures.weebly.com/ For some reason I thought it was in Upstate Ny, probably because I thought it was on the map *below*

There are 2 more rescues in Upstate Ny, I lived in NYS all my life ( Chautauqua County an Batavia )till 5 yrs ago and have never been upstate or to NYC lol so I'm not familiar where the other two are but you can find them on this map. All of the markers on the map are showing glider rescues http://www.communitywalk.com/sugar_glider_rescuers/map/1708752

Edited by - Leela on Mar 16 2015 07:51:09 AM
Information
Mar 16 2015
10:38:22 AM
JessenJosey Starting Member 5 Posts
There's only one rescue on the map in what looks like NYC, but it must be NJ. The Trina's Tiny Treasures rescue is in Walton, which is in the southern tier.
Information
Mar 16 2015
10:41:41 AM
ahh , one of them I was looking at is in Pa, which doesn't make much sense, gliders are illegal in Pa.
Information
Mar 16 2015
05:47:10 PM
Thanks guys. I thought there was one in Buffalo, but I can't find that on Google either.
Information
Mar 17 2015
12:39:10 AM
JesseJosey Starting Member Visit JesseJosey's Photo Album 6 Posts
I thought they were illegal in NYC, as well.
Information
Mar 17 2015
05:35:10 AM
Yeah, I think they are illegal in NYC, but not elsewhere in NY.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders