Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is it possible to bond not fast enough?
Question
Mar 16 2015
08:55:15 PM
Okay so to better explain I have two sugar gliders I got about a month ago. A mom and son the son is nuetard. And the cage I have is a custom one me and my dad built them. Anyways I have been taking the bonding process slow.. Somewhat because im nervous/scared. Now what I have done so far is sat infront of the cage. Talked to them watched them. I manged to use the bonding pouch for a while. But I put a tent nest in the cage and they stoped sleeping in the pouch. So far they have licked treats off my finger took meal worms. I put my hands in the cage couple of times and they would run. This mourning was an amazing day. I went to stick cherrios in there dish for treat honey nut of course :3 and the female crawled to the top THEN MY HAND! she nibbled my fingers a couple of times not hard I think they had the smell. And then! She ran up my arm I freaked cause hello she could jump away and I would have to chase her and be late for school. So she ran down my back. And then stood looked around ran back up my shoulder. Down my arm. I stuck my arm near the door. she crawled onto it and I think was about to jump I stuck my hand up infront of her and she ran back onto my arm. And luckly I got her into the cage! It was amazing first time ever holding one! And the reason im scared about the bodning pouch processing thing is because the male crabs loud. the female hardly ever crabs I coukd tell she would bond faster and has a sweet personality. She lost the dad of her son which I have her and her only son. They are really bonded. And im scared im taking it too slow. But I feel like its a good steady pace that patients is the key. they are in my room they hardly wake me up. So can I let her crawl onto my like again I want to when she wakes up what about the male do I try to let him out? My room is bearly glider proof but I could proof it before tonight. Also how can I get them into the bonding pouch? Without him freaking?
Question
Mar 16 2015
09:07:04 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
In my thoughts, slow and consistent is better than too fast. Your fellow will begin to take cues from his mom as she bonds stronger to you. Its all about trust building and they learn trust at different paces and levels pending personalities and experiences. If you can have a glider proofed area to take them to, maybe proof the bathroom as your bedroom may be too large, take them out while they're in their "nest" a bit before they wake up. After they grow more trust in you, you'll be able to just let them come out onto you on their own.

You're doing fine as your pace is concerned, and congrats on the progress!

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 16 2015 09:08:48 PM
Question
Mar 16 2015
09:10:22 PM
gliderlover17 Starting Member 7 Posts
Thats the thing XD my room is tiny! I have like a room big enough for my bed a dresser tv and their cage. And somewhat a floor space its pretty small probably the size of the bathroom so would it be okay? And to give a idea my twin size bed goes from one wall and almost touches the other one. Its cozy XD
Question
Mar 17 2015
12:01:51 AM
Dalton63841 Glider Visit Dalton63841's Photo Album 51 Posts
It sounds to me like you are doing great. One thing to remember is, if they crab when you go reach out to them, don't pull your hand back. If you do it teaches them that crabbing works, and gets you to leave them alone. You want to teach them that you are not a threat.

What really helps is to get them into the bonding pouch, put a piece of felt that you've kept in a pocket in with them so they have your smell, and rub them from outside the pouch. Usually the crabby one's start crabbing when you rub the pouch, but just keep rubbing and don't stop until well after they give up crabbing about it. At least, that's what the breeder told me to do with my girls, and in no time at all they quit crabbing altogether.
Question
Mar 17 2015
04:49:12 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
You might have an issue with them going inside your mattress or box spring. Look under your bed and up at the bottom of your box spring. It's probably covered with a thin material which you can easily poke a finger through. If you can then gliders can get in there. If it's that gauzy material they can tear a whole and go in, so your bedroom might not work out. Just FYI!
Btw, sounds like you're doing great!
Question
Mar 17 2015
08:38:51 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
You can secure the bottom of a box spring by putting a fitted sheet on it - upside down. The sheet fabric is much sturdier than the thin material usually found on the box spring just to hide the springs from view.
Question
Mar 17 2015
09:57:52 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlznOZDwA2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jydVf0J4p4Y

These two videos helped me tons when I first got my female, it might help you with getting your crabby guy into the bonding pouch

This is a newer video and a different method for bonding, I haven't tried it but seems like a fairly easy method if you have plenty of time just to sit and be inactive and watch tv or something while bonding this way. It also might be effective with pouch protective gliders..

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10206083869159290

Edited by - Leela on Mar 17 2015 09:59:24 AM
Question
Mar 17 2015
01:36:35 PM
gliderlover17 Starting Member 7 Posts
Thanks you all helped me. And my bed does not have a frame its a mattress sitting on the floor XD so they cant get under ill make sure to secure it to make sure thank you again!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders