GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Just an update
Just an update
Off topic chat
Mar 17 2015
05:05:25 AM
Hello!
Just giving this update since bonding things can sometimes be very slow. Fionn hardly ever crabs anymore and I can put my hand right in the pouch and pet him. Luna still seems ok on her own while we wait for Fionn to grow, and he is finally starting to look like he's growing! He doesn't have a bald spot yet but he does look ready for a vet appointment and neuter. When they're in the bonding pouches (separate) they seem fine when I wear them with the windows facing each other. I have an optimistic attitude towards their next meeting! Fionn plays in the tent, and most days will jump onto my arm to do so if I put it in the cage, and when he's done playing he inevitably curls up in my hoodie. I have been relentlessly scent swapping and haven't cleaned their pouches in a disturbingly long time, but I know it's helping them mingle scents so it's all good.

My quad continues to be themselves! Thor doesn't like to come out of the cage, but once in a while I bring him out anyway and he runs around and then goes back into the cage. His pouch protectiveness has lessened a tad most days, but it's interesting because the other three have adapted and now make the "shhh" noises before entering the pouch which I think lets him know they're coming. Guenevere has developed an odd habit of crabbing like she's crying when she enters the pouch sometimes, even when nobody is in it! She did it once in an empty pouch and when I touched the pouch she stopped immediately. Then I looked inside and she was like, what?

Having two colonies is tough, especially because Luna and Fionn aren't a "colony" yet. I feel like I'm always cleaning cages, ugh! But, that's how the cookie crumbles. Sometimes life doesn't work out the way you expect. I'm determined though to make it work since I adopted these furbabies!

Cheers and happy gliding,
Katie
Off topic chat
Mar 17 2015
08:11:56 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It sounds like your making some progress so glad it's looking like fionn and luna will get a long! thats great news for both of them and you lol

How funny that they have learned to signal to thor their coming in the pouch that's adorable!! it always amazes me how smart they are.

I think your doing a great job and you don't sound as stressed even though cage cleaning must be a pain lol I'm glad things are looking up for you all
Off topic chat
Mar 18 2015
04:48:20 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm very, very hopeful for Fionn and Luna! Last night for the first time I heard Luna clicking/purring in the pouch while Fionn's pouch was beside hers. I know it had to be because of him because it was dinner time so I put him back in his cage, and the clicking stopped.
Thank you! I'm really just doing the best I can. I still get stressed sometimes because I worry over little things, but all in all we've got a routine of sorts so that helps.

Thanks!
Off topic chat
Mar 18 2015
02:50:12 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
It sounds like great progress! And I'm so glad to hear it, I missed this post yesterday and just sat down to really catch up on new news, other than quick pops here and there.

It is amazing and amusing how the glider's colony dynamics are and change accordingly.

Are you planning to wait till you have Fionn neutered than to try introductions again? I was just wondering, because you mentioned it looks like it will be coming up soon.

And I agree about the clicky noises from Luna being good sign. She wouldn't be making any positive sounds if she were annoyed by his nearness.

And yes the scent mingling is vital, even if it's getting obscenely long between washings. You can try using double blankies though, so you can give the pouches a little washing or at least a good rinse out in between. Than alternate the blankies and pouches for washing. Also, are you sharing "out of cage" toys between the two of them? If not, it would be a good thing to try doing as well.

Off topic chat
Mar 18 2015
05:18:30 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hi TJones!
Yes, I feel like they may be ready to meet! But also I want to have Fionn neutered first because I absolutely do NOT want joeys! Ahhh! 6 gliders is already more than enough!
Fionn is finally started to look a little bigger. He was such a peanut when I got him.
Yes, they both play in the tent and use the same toys, too.
I've also already informed the husband that he must help me next time lol! The first time I never even got Fionn out of his pouch before Luna pounced. Next time we will take them out simultaneously at opposite ends of the tent. Scott's calm will help, too. He doesn't worry like I do.
Thanks for reading!
Just an update

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Just an update