Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
not playing
not playing
Behavior
Mar 17 2015
12:51:10 PM
Anybody know the moon cycle? Or anybody have their suggie acting different past 2 nights? We are on a play schedule, 9pm every night, past 2 nights, Charger will not play during play time. He will go to the curtain rod and just sit there for 15 minutes. If I put him on me, he goes right in my bra - just became a bra baby this past week - I guess cause he always wants in my chest area! If I pull him out and put him back on his rope, he acts scared that he's out and is just totally different. Do suggies sense our moods? I've been in grump mood past 2 nights, but not towards him so I don't know if he feels that. He is eating, drinking, popping just fine.
Behavior
Mar 17 2015
01:18:51 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Some people do believe moon phases have an influence on the behavior of animals (including humans, it's incredible the number of people, even in the medical field, who believe there are more birth on full moons, yet when you check the birth regiters, you can pinpoint such a day)...
I have to say that I never noticed any changes linked with the moon, the weather patterns however seem to have a huge influence, when it gets stormy, mines are a lot less active.
Behavior
Mar 17 2015
02:41:29 PM
audrey0624 Glider Visit audrey0624's Photo Album IN, USA 75 Posts
The weather has changed here past few days but for the good - has been so cold and now heat wave came thru. Maybe its that...I hope! I want to make sure he is getting his exercise in!
Behavior
Mar 17 2015
03:44:46 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
My female is affected by barometric pressure even a slight spike or drop is enough for her to act goofy. The moon doesn't seem to phase her as much but my male acted weird one night on a full moon and he isn't usually affected by the pressure

I think they most def do sense our moods and emotions and react to them even if it isn't directed at them. They also respond better to bonding when your confident, from my observations anyway.

Not long ago I had a really bad head cold that lasted about a week, both my gliders did things they don't normally do when I wasn't feeling well.

Leela let me hold her in my hands for a very long time, she was calm and mellow and just wanted petted a lot more than usual and seemed to know I was not up for any of her normal tactics to not go back in the cage and Simon voluntarily went in my bra for the first time and was a lot more snugly than he normally is too.

Once my cold was clearing up Leela went right back to her normal O I'm not going back in the cage just yet self sighs it was nice while it lasted though lol they both actually made me feel better a lot sooner.

Just keep an eye on his behavior, how long it lasts, check the barometric pressure and kind of keep track of everything. If it's the pressure you will be able to start seeing a pattern if he acts like this again.... when Leela gets weird it usually last 3-4 days or until the pressure changes again then she goes back to being herself.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 17 2015 03:45:53 PM
Behavior
Mar 17 2015
03:49:20 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
The moon is at 10% waning....so not a full moon scenario. I have a moon phase app and a barometer in my phone. Yeah...I'm that nerdy. I didn't start looking at it intently until the sugs came along though. My boss has cows on a couple farms and says the moon has been full when a lot of weird stuff happens with them.

Some phones have a built in barometer and if not you can just get an app that will link to your closest barometric reading source...or just link your local weather page if it has it on there.

And sure...animals sense our moods and other triggers that your body may be giving off that you are not aware of (not capably...they are more sensitive/receptive).
Behavior
Mar 17 2015
04:02:57 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
so do I Blue I have 3 different apps just to make sure lol I can just about predict that Leela will act squirrely by looking at my baro apps
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
07:51:33 AM
Thanks everyone! He did come out and actually play last night but still scared at my moves and still acting weird. I did see a few different things that he did...he rubbed the top of his head on me a few times in few different spots on me. What is that?
And it looked like he was hiking up his butt/tail a few times as he was playing...
How do they mark? and what does that mean to them when they mark?
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
08:04:14 AM
He marked you, by rubbing his head on you

Male sugar gliders have scent glands at the bald spot in the top middle area of the head. The scent gland is what creates the bald spot. Another scent gland is located in the middle of the chest. They use these to mark their female mates, offspring, and territory. Both the males and females have anal scent glands, and the females have a scent gland in their pouch.

It means all the "stuff" they mark is "theirs" the toys the fleece, the cage mate, the human, the humans stuff lol it's all theirs. It lets other gliders not a member of colony 1 know that this "territory" is colonies 1 "stuff"

lifting his bum and a weird shimmy is sort of how they rub their chest on stuff, his chest may start to look a little yellowish from the scent glad rubbing

Edited by - Leela on Mar 18 2015 08:07:53 AM
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
11:03:47 AM
Oh, got it...I've been marked! Well he just started marking last night then! Would this maybe be a cause of him being tired and not wanting to play the past 2 nights? Is it like a human boy hitting puberty??
And he is getting neutered this coming Monday so will he still mark things or does it stop once neutered? I don't mind it...yet...it is part of his nature and I didn't smell anything different than his normal smell.
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
11:37:53 AM
Probably played a part in it yeh it's like puberty he's coming into sexual maturity.

He might continue marking even after the neuter but it shouldn't stink anymore than it does now if he's getting neutered Monday. He may or may not stop marking once his hormone levels drop after the neuter. I know my neutered male still marks but he didn't get neutered until he was 4 yrs old, so he's had that instinct to mark a lot longer than your lil man has.

Even my female will mark me, especially after I first shower, she rubs all over me to get her "stink" back on me even though I can't really smell any difference they can. I actually enjoy it though lol it makes me feel accepted as part of their colony, and they chose to make sure their scent is on me.
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
12:23:38 PM
LOL! Ya I felt that way too! I knew they marked but wasn't too sure and hadn't seen it so gald he is! Thanks!
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
12:44:12 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
heh.. My luigi marks me and pretty much everything as well.
I've never seen his brother do the the same, not in the same way anyway, he tends to rub his back on the fleece like cats do.
Behavior
Mar 18 2015
02:00:24 PM
He was just going to town with marking last night! Funny!!
not playing

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
not playing