Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What are things gliders shouldn't have?
Question
Mar 18 2015
12:15:14 PM
I know aside from things like cheese (or all dairy other than plain yogurt), & chocolate (I'm sure there's a couple other obvious ones I can't think of right off hand) but what are some other things they shouldn't eat regularly or maybe even not have at all? I tend to stick to the basics of variety of fresh fruits & veggies. Here's most of the things they eat but I switch it up constantly so they don't get bored. They get fruits AND veggies every night regardless , some nights they get baked chicken or some yogurt along with them..

Papaya
Honeydew
Cantaloupe
Red grapes
Red apples
Carrots (only shredded)
Cabbage
Peas
Broccoli
Nectarine
Plum
Green beans
Corn (only sometimes though..very rare)
Strawberries
Kiwi
Banana
Blueberries
Baby food (like the go-go fruit squeeze or whatever they're called)
Apple sauce

That's all I can think of right off hand .. But all I'm really wanting to know is what they CANT have .. I feel as if I'm rambling now
Question
Mar 18 2015
01:04:57 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Here is a good list of safe and unsafe foods: https://sites.google.com/site/oakleysglidersite/safe-and-toxic-foods-list

From the sounds of your post, though...it doesn't seem that you have them on any sort of true diet. It is good that they are getting variety from what you are offering. However, it is very important that suggies get what they need in the amounts that are necessary for their protein/nutrient ratio...specifically when it comes to their calcium intake and also balancing that against food containing phosphorus as it can interfere with the absorption of calcium. Without following the guidelines that have been researched and offering those food in balance, or following one of the already well researched diet plans gliders can become prone to frequent illnesses (vet trips), not live a thriving long happy life but more importantly...they are very susceptible to what is referred to as HLP (Hind Leg Paralysis). Lack of calcium in the diet is one of the main factors that can cause this debilitating and deadly disease. (there are some cases when it can be caused by other medical factors).

All this being said, and I'm sure other folks will be replying (if not already while I've been distractedly typing this) with detailed information on the approved diets. In the Gliderpedia above you can read about the various approved diets and find one that suits your situation and abilities to provide.

Good luck!
Question
Mar 18 2015
02:58:57 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I have to agree with Blue. Written some time after her, lol.

I do know from memory other than chocolate being an absolute no no, garlic and onion are also on the "do not feed" list. It is a short list, but very important so look over the link Blue left you if you haven't already and jot those down as "never feed foods".

Also, there are lists of safe and unsafe plant and tree/branches around. When I come across them again I'll link them if no one else has gotten to it yet. I don't have them bookmarked on this computer.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 18 2015 03:00:23 PM
Question
Mar 18 2015
03:22:29 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Rhubarb toxic
chocolate toxic
onion toxic
garlic toxic
cat nip toxic
raw lima beans toxic *frozen and cooked are safe
grapes and raisins are debatable on being toxic

pork to fatty and hard to digest
beef to fatty and hard to digest

avocado's are high in fat but can be fed in moderation.

No high in salt foods or canned foods. except pureed pumpkin NOT pie filling.

No spices but some herbs are ok like basil and parsley

no butter/oil when cooking

I Still feel like I'm missing something but not sure what it is...

Question
Mar 18 2015
05:03:57 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
processed sugar should be avoided too
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:10:59 PM
Kaitlinxoo Joey VA, USA 25 Posts
Thank you for all of your replies, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't feeding anything they shouldn't have. I would never give them cat nip..who would do that? I guess I would be surprised...as far as not having a diet plan, I don't really understand how I don't have a diet plan? I usually always balance it out giving them like 2 different fruits & two types of veggies a night (their pellets for the protein they lack because I'm kinda unsure of how to give it to them other than scrambled eggs & a little bit of chicken) & for the calcium, again, the pellets have that in them as well or some nights I replace it with yogurt..

I thought I was feeding them correctly this whole time ..
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:23:43 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
your doing fine on the fruits n veg part, but pellets aren't really a good long term diet, nor do they have adequate amounts of vitamins/nutrients or calcium that a glider needs to be healthy long term.

Gliders aren't really designed to eat grain based or hard pellet type food. They need a balanced nectar like staple to provide everything nutritionally that they need.

here are some recipes to consider, there are others as well that widely known and "approved" I don't have links for on hand...

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com/Staple-Recipes.html
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:35:15 PM
Kaitlinxoo Joey VA, USA 25 Posts
well those recipes you sent me were helpful. I had given them oatmeal & stuff before. I had let them try that glider-ade & the vitiman powder for a couple nights but they wouldn't touch it! I wish I knew the exact names for them though, but it worries me because they weren't eating. But I'll just be more persistent & try those recipes you sent me. Thanks for your help
Question
Mar 18 2015
05:45:38 PM
bml or glider kids leadbeaters are two pretty easy recipes, and you can usually find all of the ingredients locally. Just look them all over and see which ones you feel comfortable with. Once you decide on one try to stick with it for a few weeks before giving up on it.

Make sure you use the exact brand the recipe calls for and follow the recipe exactly. The calcium to phosphorous ratios have been calculated for all of these recipes so if you change even one little thing it will through off the balance.

Also follow the instructions for HOW to feed it and what to feed with it. BML has a very high calcium value so it needs high phosphorous fruits and veg to balance the entire meal out.

The glider kids leadbeaters is very similar with a more balance calcium to phos ratio so it allows you to feed a wider range of fruits n veg with it.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders