Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction Question
Introduction Question
Question
Mar 31 2015
12:36:12 AM
I wrote this on my first post about cage accessories, but I haven't received any helpful replies yet. I am going to post it on its own so I can hopefully get more help and have my girls together soon.

"I've had Macy for a while and I got Amelia to keep her company. I had Amelia's little cage next to Macy's big one until Amelia stopped crabbing at Macy each night. I then took Macy's cage and put the metal platform (that I took out originally so Macy would have more jumping room) back in. This platform covers the entire center of the cage aside from a square opening for her to crawl through to go to the lower level of the cage. So, I put the platform back in and covered the gap for her to crawl through with some chicken wire. I secured it. The cage is basically divided in half. I put Macy in the top halve (because she isn't messy and Amelia is) and Amelia in the lower halve. I placed a puppy pad down on half of Macy's floor in case Amelia tries to nip her toes on the uncovered floor. I stayed up the first two nights to make sure there wasn't any toe nipping or crabbing. All they could do is nip toes. They can't get to anything else. They were perfect. No toe nipping, no crabbing, but they did bark at each other all night long. They kept staring at one another. It has been a week and they are used to one another.

Does this mean that I can introduce them now face to face without the divider? Are they so used to each other now that they won't fight?
Question
Mar 31 2015
04:49:18 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
It's hard to tell when they're ready, but they might be. Did you also do scent swapping? Are you familiar with introduction protocols? Once you decide to introduce them just be sure you do it in a neutral location, preferably in the morning when they're tired. You should have a clean pouch ready for them to sleep in and clean the cage so it's as neutral as possible if they end up getting along.
There's a bunch of posts about introductions so if you search it you'll find some great info. Or, if you have specific questions just let me know and I'll answer what I can (or maybe someone else will!)
Question
Mar 31 2015
12:53:53 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Well, it's been done so you can't go back...but that wasn't really the best way to go about the introductions. Won't fuss about it, though.

In that situation I'd say it is high time that you go ahead to a neutral place, your out of cage play area, and let them check each other out. Scent swapping at this point is almost moot because they've been basically living together already...just not able to fully get together and bond, sleep in the same pouch, groom, etc. Keep a towel or gloves ready in case they actually do ball up and all out fight, but I think given what you've said...they stand a very good chance of being ready to be together. Possibly do your intro early in the morning before they go to sleep for the day (for this case). If all goes well, go ahead and allow them to sleep together for the day and hopefully the rest will be textbook.

If you did not have fecals done for your new glider, you'll need to have both checked and then again in 30 days. Since they have been as close as basically a split cage, if parasites had been present in one it would be likely to be present now in both. It is easily treatable...but MUST be treated!
Question
Mar 31 2015
12:54:53 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Oh...and get the chicken wire out of the cage asap. It is almost always a zinc product which when combined with glider pee becomes a toxic mix!
Introduction Question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introduction Question