Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help Please! SugarGlider died suddenly :(
Health related
Apr 03 2015
03:40:09 PM
Help please! One of our twin boy sugarGliders has just died suddenly aged 7. We are absolutely devastated but also now really worried about his poor twin brother. There were no signs of anything wrong with him but he climbed out of his pouch a bit sluggishly and then onto one of his rope swings and died- still gripping onto the swing :( I am so upset. I don't really want to get another for fears that my other boy won't get along with it but I am really worried that he will become depressed and lonely without his twin- even if I get him out everyday. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Jessica
Health related
Apr 03 2015
03:48:37 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I think it's best to wait a few days or so and then rethink. He will go through a grieving stage for sure, as you will. Give it a little time though. In the meantime, it might be beneficial to take the brother to the vets for a check up.

I hate to have to welcome you under such circumstances, but I see you are a new member, so I feel I should give you warm welcome along with wishes of sympathy.
Health related
Apr 03 2015
03:56:01 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I'm so sorry...I know how difficult this is.

If possible, please take the glider that has passed for a necropsy so that your vet can determine what led to his death. It could have been age related, although many gliders do live much longer than 7. Finding out the cause may be of great help in preventing something similar in his twin. If it was a genetic weakness, an illness, etc. something might be done to help the remaining twin. And yes, as TJones said...be sure to take the twin in for a well check, too.

Otherwise, yes. Take some time to grieve and give his twin as much extra care and affection as you can. Then consider what may be the best course of action for you and your glider.

Deepest sympathies.
~Blue
Health related
Apr 06 2015
08:10:52 AM
jessica.smith Starting Member 3 Posts
Thanks for the advice . My boy does seem a bit lost so I think he will need a friend. The issue now is that he is unneutered and nearing 8 years old. I would have to neuter him to get a friend because he would not get along with another male unneutered and i dont want any babies if we get a female. I just dont want to risk his life with an operation that's not completely necessary- how dangerous would it be to have him neutered at his age? And is it costly?
Thanks again, Jessica
Health related
Apr 06 2015
10:10:21 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
I don't think you would need to rule out that you could find a male who has already been neutered to try to pair with him. My male was neutered as soon as was safe by his breeder and he never developed a bald spot, typically strong male scent, etc. He is with two females, but I think that a male such as this might be a candidate for pairing with your male. I'd just suggest trying to find a guy with a little maturity as yours is nearing 8 years.

I understand how difficult a position you are in considering trying to work out the possible scenarios out at his age and stage, etc. I'm just thinking to myself here: possibly a reason to consider adding to have at least trio colony after an owner has established themselves with being able to handle a pair. It isn't something I had given extra thought to until now.
Health related
Apr 06 2015
10:24:24 AM
jessica.smith Starting Member 3 Posts
That's a huge help thanks for the support- i think i'll lookfor an older neutered male and hope for the best!
Jessica

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders