Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help
Help
Question
Apr 07 2015
01:20:35 AM
We have two gliders we only have them for a week, but now when I come into the room at night , they run back into their pouch, is this normal , they crab a bit less but that's because they run into the pouch so at night when we feed them we can't bound too much because they run. I'm afraid to let them out at night into an controlled environment or a tent because j feel like they'd just freeze up and get stressed
Question
Apr 07 2015
07:19:20 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Yes, that's normal. It takes time for them to get to know you and trust you. Remember, you're a giant scary creature to them!
I actually know from experience that tent time can really help them to get to know you and build trust. It's good if they run into their pouch when you go to see them at night, because then you can just take the whole pouch out with them inside and transport them into the tent. Have some treats ready to give to them. Sit in the tent and put the pouch in your lap, and wait! Talk to them, and given time one will probably be brave and curious and come out to meet you. Let him explore and run and jump, and see if you can give him a treat. His cagemate may work up the courage, too, after seeing the brave one is okay. Just let them explore and play! When they're tired or done, they'll either crawl back into the pouch or, in my experience more likely find a warm snuggly place on you to sleep! I'm always wearing a hoodie this time of year so my glider snuggles up either inside the hood or under the hood when he's done. Then I just carefully slip the hoodie off and carry it back to the cage to put him back inside. Just FYI the first time I did tent time with Fionn it took him about 30 minutes to work up the courage to come out
Also, I keep a blanket on the bottom of the tent and a few toys on the floor of the tent, too.
Let us know if you go for it! I think you'll have fun...it's great the first time your little fuzz butts climb all over you!
Question
Apr 07 2015
08:48:32 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
^ Exactly...it just takes time. And the courage to make that first step, when you feel you and they are ready.

It's so much easier to sneak them out while they are still sleeping in the pouch, but just before the time they usually wake up and take them into the tent. Once they have decided to come out of the pouch I tuck it under my leg or sit on it. It makes it easier when it looks like they are winding down or you are tired to take the pouch out and they'll be glad to see/smell it and will usually hop in so that you can get them back to their cage safely.

After time with them they'll get to know the routine and you and they will be much more comfortable to relax and enjoy out of cage time.

Question
Apr 07 2015
09:50:50 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
when I come into the room at night , they run back into their pouch,

A week is not a very long time and your gliders are still getting familiar with you and their new surroundings.

One thing to consider - are you turning on a light when you come in the room at night? Turning on a light is often all it takes to send gliders scurrying back to the safety of their pouch.

Keep the room dark and use only a night light or the light from a tablet or computer screen to give you a little light to see your gliders by.

Sit by the cage (in the dark) and talk to them quietly and when they do get curious and come to the side of the cage to investigate you - have a treat ready to offer.

They will begin to associate you with good things and be more interested in you.
Help

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help