Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Video: What is he doing with his tail?
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
07:41:38 AM
Last night, I was playing around with my 6 month old Stitch. I took my phone and faced the camera front ways and pointed it towards Stitch to see what he would do and I guess he must have thought there was another sugar glider in front of him!! Anyways, While he was staring at his own reflection, he started to do something funny with his tail. I have a video attached. Anybody know what he's doing??? Is this his stance when he's about to fight??

Behavior
Apr 07 2015
07:47:41 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Lol!!! I have no idea but that was funny! Plus, it was neat to see what you look like, too
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
07:52:49 AM
rustypossumfart Face Hugger Visit rustypossumfart's Photo Album USA 459 Posts
Mine do that all the time when they are curious about something. I think of it as their stalking stance , sort of like a cat's. It is not aggressive, in my opinion.

That was a cute video, thank you for sharing.
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
08:08:46 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
my girl does that a lot when the air pressure spikes or drops and whenever I put something new in the cage, I love it!!
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
08:27:31 AM
marisa0820 Super Glider Visit marisa0820's Photo Album marisa0820's Journal USA 222 Posts
Lol!!! Glad to know he's not the only one It was his first time doing that and I never saw Meiko do that before so I was totally confused!

Thanks for taking the time to watch guys yes, now you know what I look like don't mind the bed head. I was taking cat naps yesterday evening
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
08:38:13 AM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Love it! Glad you got it on video. One of my favorite quirks. I put out a cricket for them to hunt down...they definitely had their tails going that night!
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
10:17:32 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
The tail is the insight to the soul. Sugar gliders emote through their tails. Usually when I see this tail snaking it is while the animal is being restrained for any sort of procedure that requires it. They don't like being restrained and the tail will start snaking quickly. In this moment it pretty much means he wants to bite the crap out of you. In your moment I think it means he has a heightened awareness and is being sneaky, perhaps hunting. In a nutshell, when the "warrior" turns on the tail will start snaking. BEWARE! :)
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
04:37:39 PM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Snake dance!
Behavior
Apr 07 2015
07:36:03 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
LOL X 10! That was a great video, what a good capture of what I and some others call "snake tailing". I haven't seen it done as Kazko has when gliders are constrained, just haven't had that opportunity. But, I've seen my gliders do it time to time when something new is in their cage or in their play area and it's adorable. Your Stitch looked adorable doing it too, thanks for sharing that wonderful specimen of suggie language in action.
Behavior
Apr 08 2015
12:02:14 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I would think it's a trick to deter potential predators, while their attention is focused on the small black snake which might be potentially dangerous, they don't see the suggie.
Behavior
Apr 08 2015
09:42:03 AM
kazko Little Bunny FooFoo GliderMap Gliderpedia Editor Visit kazko's Photo Album kazko's Journal TX, USA 6747 Posts
Squirrels do this as well. One could consider it an alert action. If you ever come across two gliders face to face about to fight you might see at least one tail snaking.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders