Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Parent
New Parent
Question
Apr 08 2015
03:23:28 PM
I'm a new parent of my sugar glider, Izzy! I got her about 3 days ago from somebody that I didn't really know and he told me that she is a very sweet girl. I've noticed that she is going to be such a sweet girl, but she is just very nervous. My main problem for me is that I suffer from anxiety so me trying to get to know her more isn't only frightening for her but also for me. I know that sugar gliders can smell nervousness and I tend to pull away when she jumps or moves and I get a little panicked as well. I know it's not good for me to do that but there's honestly nothing I can do to help the way I act around her. She's been getting more used to me, but doesn't let me hold her with my hands. Yesterday I let her crawl in my jacket just to relax and she began crabbing at me. I'm not used to that noise really and I start to get a little anxious and don't know what to do when that happens. I'm trying to bond with her but it's turning out to be more difficult for me. I guess my question is what can I do? I know she's a sweet, shy girl, but I'm nervous she won't get used to me and I don't want to panic when I'm holding her and she starts to crab. I feel so bad for her but I don't know what to do and I'm scared that she won't get used to me because of my anxiety as well.
Question
Apr 08 2015
06:25:12 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the forum.
I'm sorry about your anxiety. It sounds challenging to handle.
I will try to be helpful, and brief!
Most gliders don't like to be held in your hand, they prefer to jump on you and climb on you. At first it's an unusual sensation, but it's easy to get used to!
Take a deep breath when you're around her, and remember that she's a tiny creature who can bond very strongly to you if you give her patience and time to get to know you. She will do that by crawling on you and spending time with you. Try closing your eyes and sitting still so you're not flinching. If you wish to pick her up, scoop under her and let her run up your arm.
When she crabs, it means she's scared, unsure, or nervous. That's how she'll tell you, and although it's an unsettling sound remind yourself it's like whimpering or crying from a child. You can speak quietly to her and tell her "it's ok" just like you would a puppy or kitten.

Here's a couple of questions for new glider owners I often hear, and pose to you to help you get off to a good start:
Are you playing with her in a glider safe area such as a tent or bathroom which has the toilet lid down and all drains and holes blocked?
What diet are you feeding her?
How's your cage situation? Size? Toys?
Do you plan to get her a cagemate since most gliders become very lonely and stressed when they are alone?

As a new glider owner I strongly recommend you peruse this forum because it is very helpful! I've learned a ton I wish I'd known before getting my gliders. They're a lot more high maintenance then I originally knew when I adopted my first. Best of luck!
Question
Apr 08 2015
06:35:19 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Congratulations!

Take you time, it will help both of you. Try taking care of her needs and all the while for the next couple of days to just sit outside her cage and talk softly to her, even sing if you like. You can take pieces of fleece and sleep with in your bed overnight, wear under your clothes, or even leave in your laundry hamper for a night or so, then leave in her sleep pouch. This will introduce your scent to her and make it more familiar and natural to her.

After a couple of days try offering her treats from your hand from outside the cage, if you're nervous at first. Then work up to offering inside the cage. Try to relax, I understand that can be harder than it sounds, but really she has more reason to be afraid of you then you have of her, maybe remembering that will help you feel less anxious.

After you are both more comfortable, you may feel better about her being on you and she should get less crabby over time.

And I just realized you have received great advice from kferg.

Edited by - TJones09 on Apr 08 2015 06:37:14 PM
New Parent

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Parent