Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sick human and glider interaction advice
Health related
Apr 08 2015
07:42:30 PM
Please bear with me following this brief intro, I have a health related question. We are new parents of two 8 week OOP Sugars. We have researched a lot for months prior to their homecoming, and bonding is going far better than we imagined! The owner we got our joeys from did a fantastic job taming them.
My tween daughters and I were able to hold them in bonding pouch during the day yesterday, and we all had a blast getting to know each other during tent time. I was prepared to take things slow, but the babies warmed up to us quickly and wanted to play.
Today, one of my daughters has a fever (101°) and cough. My older daughter was sick last week and I think my youngest one has caught her bug. I want to take precautions our new Suggies. So far I have told my sick daughter she may not handle the gliders until her fever is normal. What is suggested/best advuce? I read about glider-to-human illness and precautions, but I am having a hard time finding advice about human illness and what precautions to take for the gliders. Open to advice....
Health related
Apr 08 2015
08:02:32 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Personally, I don't think colds n such can be passed from human to glider....but I'm not a vet

About a month ago I had a severe head cold, fever etc... I left my pair in the cage for about 2 days, when I could sit up on day 3 I had them out and in my sweatshirt. My cold held on for about a week and a half and I had my gliders out and on me for all but the first 2 days. They were just fine, and still are... honestly they made me feel better a lot sooner lol. I think they Knew I wasn't feeling well and not at 100%. Both of my gliders were more mellow than usual and just wanted snuggled. Soon as I felt better they went back to their normal "don't snuggle me!" selves

Congrats on your new babies and I hope your kid feels better soon
Health related
Apr 08 2015
08:35:01 PM
MissTSpeed Starting Member 5 Posts
Thank you Leela :) Sounds like your babies knew you were sick and wanted to be your little nurses. So cute!
Health related
Apr 08 2015
08:40:13 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
anytime I wouldn't worry to much really just have your daughters wash their hands and dry well before handling the gliders. They should get in the practice of that anyways Mild soap that doesn't smell like food

Edited by - Leela on Apr 08 2015 08:41:00 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders