Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Relocate my female glider?
Question
Apr 27 2015
10:40:01 PM
I have a female glider named Lilo. She is almost 2 years old. Recently she has not been getting along with my 2 male gliders. She is become scared of most people, and tries to attack anyone who tries to pet her or hold her. It has come to the point where I can't take her anywhere. I usually put my gliders in a pouch and take them with me if I am running errands, but I can't do this with her. She makes an attack noise almost the entire time. She does not eat as much as she used to. She doesn't fight with my other gliders, it's almost as if she is afraid of them. I took her to the vet just to make sure she was healthy, and the vet said she was perfectly fine. I now have no idea what to do with her. It's been about 5 months of this. So not too recent, but still kind of new. She has always been a little scared of people. She was really only comfortable around me. No one else in my family could pet her. Lately, she has been mean towards me too. She is not fixed, so she is able to have babies. I don't know if I should try to give her to someone who has a lot more experience with gliders. I don't want her to be unhappy, and I don't want to give her to someone who is just going to breed her. I want her to have a happy life where ever she may go. Thank you.
Question
Apr 28 2015
07:25:22 AM
Rowangel Glider Visit Rowangel's Photo Album USA 173 Posts
Hi, did you get another male recently? Last year you had two gliders, now three? When was the latest male introduced? About 5 months? It could very well be that she IS scared and being harassed by the two males. This can cause lots of stress and in turn she is expressing it in the only way she knows how. It would also explain the change in her eating... She may not be allowed near the food.

I'd recommend separating her if she's having issues with her cage mates. If you want to keep her, try spending more 'tent time' with her. It's about rebuilding trust, so it may take time.

Otherwise consider the adopting to someone knowledgeable who would sign a 'no breeding' contract.
Question
Apr 28 2015
11:02:15 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
She is not fixed, so she is able to have babies

Female gliders cannot be spayed to prevent joeys. They have a very complicated reproductive system with 2 uterus so the surgery would be so invasive it would also be life threatening.

Are both of your males neutered? If they were neutered after they became mature they may both be trying to mate with her each time she is in heat. It could be stressful for her even if there is no chance of joeys.

If you choose to rehome her - be sure the new home has only NEUTERED males or other female gliders if you do not want her to become a breeder.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders