Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Intro: Next Step?
Question
May 09 2015
01:20:43 PM
My new 7 month old female, Sophie and 2 year old male, Moose have already had the 30 day quarantine and I swapped the beds and now she sleeps in the bed he had and I accidentally messed up the bed that was hers that I was going to give him for the scent swapping and gave him one of her fleece toys instead. He has no problem with it. He smelled it like crazy for a little while but now he's fine with it. He used to rub his face along the side of the cage where she is but now he doesn't. He's just stares at her and she stares at him. They dominantly sleep in fleece blankets. Should I swap the blankets now? I don't feel like they're ready for a face to face after just the beds. I'm ready for them to be in the same cage since hers is taking up my desk space, so I'm curious. I make their shelves and toys and I could make a couple dividers and put them in the cage with a little space between them so they couldn't reach through to the other side. Is this a bad idea? I feel like being closer to each other without being able to make contact would help them get used to each others smell safely but this is my first time doing this, so I'll do whatever you guys with experience advise.
Question
May 09 2015
05:48:14 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
If they seem OK with the pouch swapping - go ahead and try a face to face introduction in a neutral space.

Many folks use the bathtub during the day time when both gliders are sleepy. Have a good size piece of fleece handy just in case they do start to fight and you need to separate them. Also have a new or freshly washed sleeping pouch on hand.

Do a thorough cleaning of the cage that you plan for them to share so it will be as neutral as possible when you put them back in the cage together.

Let them come out of their pouches (roll the tops down to expose them if they do not come out on their own) and let them sniff each other. They may begin to groom or just follow each other around.

If the are crabbing at each other or actually ball up fighting - separate them immediately and start over with the pouch swapping for several more day before you try again.

If the seem OK with each other, offer them the clean sleeping pouch. If they both go in and seem to settle down together to go back to sleep, then put them into the freshly cleaned cage you plan for them to share.

If they sleep with each other all day without a problem, they will probably be fine together when they wake up.

When you feed them, put the food in several different locations - opposite sides of the cage or one dish on the floor and one up high in the cage. This way both gliders can eat with out either chasing the other away from the food. Once you see that they share a dish, then you can feed them in a single dish is that is your preference.

Good luck. Let us know how things go.

Question
May 09 2015
07:48:58 PM
laraashton Joey Visit laraashton's Photo Album laraashton's Journal 43 Posts
Thank you! This is extremely helpful. I'll try the face to face tomorrow.
Question
May 15 2015
12:29:00 AM
suggielover29 Joey 17 Posts
Hi! I put a divider in my cage a few months ago. I took it out tonight after introducing. At first my girls didn't get along when I got my second glider, Amelia, who came into my hands a while ago. Amelia, my young female, would crab/hiss at my older glider, Mimzy, with their cages side by side. When that stopped I put the divider in. Honestly, I had no choice. I moved back home over the states and their travel cages were too small to keep them in until they were introduced. The divider made everything so much easier. I introduced my girls today and things went smoothly. I introduced them in my glider tent, and they didn't fight. They did so well. They even went into each other's pouches. I feel as if I hadn't put the divider in... that they wouldn't have been fine. Macy is a few years older. She has always been solo until I got Amelia. The divider still kept them solo, but they were closer. Closer than cage by cage. They could see each other. They could definitely smell each other because they were going potty in the same cage.

Macy is like a grumpy but lovable old lady, and Amelia is a wild child teenager. Macy is being stand-offish now, and I don't know why. I posted a question about it. If they seem fine with each other's scents then introduce them. If you are unsure or just want to be very cautious then put a divider in for a week. Amelia hated Macy for a few weeks, and the divider helped them to see each other without the possibility of fighting. My only problem is that Amelia is now in love with Macy, and Macy is in a kind of "what the heck should I do being close to her" state. I hope it passes and that people can give me answers and also you! Good luck! I'll keep track of this because I was in the same place as you.
Question
May 17 2015
07:42:14 PM
laraashton Joey Visit laraashton's Photo Album laraashton's Journal 43 Posts
I tried this a week ago and forgot to get back to you guys, but they immediately became friends.They got in his bed and cuddled up. I put them up though after a while cause they got smart and found a way out of the tub. A day or so later I had one out and they've been getting along so well that I let the other out too, outside the cages and on me. They just smelled each other. There wasn't any crabbing but he grabbed her tail and bit it and she started making this noise. I'm not sure what it's called. Maybe it's crabbing. Either way, she didn't latch on to him and he didn't her but I separated them and put then back in their cages because it made me nervous. Moose used to do this to his brother so I don't know if it's just him playing or if what. do you think I should just clean the cage they'll both be in and put them in during the day and see what happens?
Question
May 18 2015
12:10:24 AM
suggielover29 Joey 17 Posts
Yes! Clean the cage. Clean everything in it so they don't try to show dominance over anything that is theirs. Get them out together afterwards during the day. See how they act. Put them together. I did the same thing. I cleaned everything and immediately anything that was Macy's became Amelia's because the scents were gone. Amelia loved seeing new toys that are old to Macy, but seeing her curiosity was amazing. Amelia immediately was like "Oh, what is this?" and "Oh my goodness, this toy has straws attached."

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders