GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Are sugar gliders a viable pet for me?
Question
May 11 2015
09:53:39 AM
Hello,
My name is Andrew and Im currently enrolled in highschool. Ive been wanting sugar gliders for years. Im a dedicated pet owner that has experience with snakes and very delicate fish and coral. My mom has also been wanting sugar gliders and works nights. So she is home during the day, im home at night.

Would it work out for us to keep a sugar glider? Money is not a issue as I work and grow coral for money. I also have plenty of time every night as I do not do many after school activities.

Thanks.
Information
May 11 2015
10:37:07 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Welcome to the forum and Thank YOU for doing your research before bringing sugar gliders into your life.

The first question I always bring up for new owners still in high school is - What are your plans for college? Most colleges do not allow pets in dorms and many require freshmen to live on campus. Will your mother be able to care for your gliders including taking them out of the cage for play time and excercise daily?

My next question would be what are your career plans in the future? Is it likely to involve traveling or working long hours?

Healthy gliders can live up to 15 years and in that time YOUR LIFE will go through many transitions - graduation, college, career, marriage, children of your own,etc. You need to decide if you can continue to include sugar glider in your future life, not just for the next few years while you complete high school.

I have just had a similar discussion on another forum - Read the comments from ErinK which describes some of the planning and arrangements she is making for her gliders when she enters college soon.

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1389700/Sugar_gliders_changing_homes_w#Post1389700

You just need to decide if gliders are a good fit for you LONG TERM.

One other caution - you will need to house your gliders securely away from your coral aquariums because gliders do not do well with deep water that they cannot easily climb out of. We warn everyone to keep toilet lids closed to prevent glider drownings. Gliders are curious and would very likely find their way into the tanks if they had an opportunity.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders