Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pineapple
Pineapple
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
11:45:23 AM
Is pineapple a good fruit to have with their daily meals? I read that cucumber is only good once in a while and as a snack cause of the water content but what about pineapple or watermelon?
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
12:36:57 PM
Onelove420 Glider Visit Onelove420's Photo Album USA 89 Posts
From what I've read, fruits like pineapple and watermelon are good for them. And a lot of the time, the juicier the fruit, the better because it keeps them hydrated. Maybe not for every day, but my little guys love watermelon and cucumber. Pineapple, not so much. I'm not sure why lol.
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
01:36:04 PM
Ange1seyes Glider Visit Ange1seyes's Photo Album 113 Posts
Pineapple is a good fruit for them having a 1.63:1 calcium to phosphorous ratio. I don't know that I would feed it daily though. There are many fruits that have a decent ratio that mine love. Most any melon, Blackberries, blueberries and apples are all favorites of my girls.
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
01:59:38 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Ratio's aren't the only thing to consider when choosing fruits n veg, though it is usually the main concern. Citrus and acidic foods shouldn't be feed daily as they can cause diarrhea But they can be fed occasionally if your glider likes them.

My pair won't touch acidic foods like pineapple or tomato, or oranges even for the most part. But they will eat watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew regularly which all have a high water content and I have never seen any loose stool, diarrhea, or weird colored poo from it.

Edited by - Leela on May 11 2015 02:01:45 PM
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
02:06:31 PM
Ha! I gave mine sweet potato last week and their poo was orange! Good point on the acid. Mine love a tomato and oranges but don't care for pineapple.
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
02:38:50 PM
MommyOf2Gliders Joey Visit MommyOf2Gliders's Photo Album 18 Posts
I didn't mean everyday. Lol. Just included as a fruit in their meals and not just a snack. Cause I read that the watery fruits and vegetables were of little nutritional value? So I wanted to make sure that when I serve it, it's an okay fruit to have :)
Food, Diet
May 11 2015
02:50:29 PM
Yes, you can use the upper right hand corner and do a search for safe foods or just search for what you are looking for. I was questioning beets one day because on the list of safe foods I had it only listed the beet greens. I was able to get an instant answer and didn't have to wait on a reply. This is absolutely the best place ever to get answers. Everyone has been so helpful to me as I'm new to them too.
Pineapple

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Pineapple