Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Introducing two intact males????
Question
May 12 2015
12:15:57 AM
Ive had Charlie a 5 month old sugar glider since he was 8 weeks old. I got him a new buddy three days ago, his name is Jackson (or Jax), who is 5 months too. They are both still intact. I want to get them neutered at the same time but want them to get the process of them getting to know each other started. I have slowly been moving their cage closer to one another, switching their pouches, and letting them sniff each other. I let them meet each other on my bed and Charlie lunged at Jax in an aggressive manner. I separated them immediately and put them away. I now know that I should have introduced them in an area that is new to both of them so that Charlie isn't territorial. I want to know if I can let them play with one another before the neutering or just take the process slow and let them be loose near each other after the surgery. HELPPP! I AM SO IMPATIENT FOR MY CHARLIE TO HAVE A BUDDY!
Question
May 12 2015
12:36:31 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I am not sure letting them play together is the best thing to do before introduction, especially if they are alone now.
If they get along, they may be disturbed/stressed by being constantely put together then separated (and they might find a way to tell you that they are getting tired of the situation, like breaking into the other's cage, or biting you when you try to separate them), and if they don't get along, it might just makes it even more complicated for future introduction because of the negative experience.
Question
May 12 2015
05:39:49 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I think you're going to need to be super patient! I know how you feel about wanting your glider to have a buddy since I went through the same thing recently. But in the end, being patient was really worth it! I had done the same as you and introduced them too soon...then I took a step back and made sure to do thorough scent swapping over time before introducing them again. AND I waited until Fionn was neutered. The whole process ending up being about four months. It was hard, but worth it!
I would recommend getting both boys neutered first. Take your time with lots and lots of scent swapping. No play dates, though, because I agree with sjusovare. You could wear them in separate bonding pouches at the same time and that is one way to get them used to each other's scent and being near each other. I think after neutering, the boys would need about a week to heal, and another week or two after that would be fine for intros if you've been working on all that scent swapping.
Using a neutral location is very important,too. I really didn't want to do the intro in our tub, but that's what most people recommend so I did. Again,it was the right call! I really needed the intro to work so Luna could have a cagemate, so I followed everyone's advice thank goodness!
I know it's hard, but Charlie needs the intro to work so be as patient as you can! You may not need four months, but do take your time.

Edited by - Kferg on May 12 2015 05:40:39 AM
Question
May 12 2015
10:46:09 AM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
quote:
I got him a new buddy three days ago, his name is Jackson (or Jax), who is 5 months too. They are both still intact. I want to get them neutered at the same time but want them to get the process of them getting to know each other started. I have slowly been moving their cage closer to one another, switching their pouches, and letting them sniff each other.

First - SLOW DOWN

The new glider needs to have several days just to get used to being in your new home. His ENTIRE WORLD just changed - many new sights, sounds and smells for him to be come comfortable with.

It is generally recommended that a glider new to your home be allowed to just chill out in his cage to settle in and get used to the new world around him. You can sit by his cage and talk to him to help him get used to your voice. Put some fleece squares (3-4 inch) that you have either kept tucked in your clothes, or slept with in your pillow case over night, into his sleeping pouch to help him get used to YOUR scent. Offer treats to get him comfortable with your hands and to begin to trust YOU.

You have already skipped one important step which would have been to quarantine the new glider - housing him in a separate room and no contact with your first glider - for 30 days to prevent sharing of any illness or parasite issues he may have.

BOTH gliders should have a well check up with a glider experienced vet and fecal testing before you begin introductions. A follow up fecal testing on both gliders after 30 days should be done to ensure any parasites were not in a dormant phase at the time of the first test. If EITHER glider tests positive for parasites, you will need to medicate both gliders to eliminate the problem since you have already traded pouches and attempted introductions.

Since they are both 5 months old and beginning to mature - I would have them neutered before you try face to face introductions again. They can still be done on the same day - just make sure you take them to the vet in separate pouches and let the vet know they are not yet cagemates.

After they have had a few days to heal, THEN begin pouch swapping to get them used to each other's scent before trying to do face to face introductions.

Introductions are more successful when done during the daytime while both gliders are sleepy. If they are willing to go into a clean pouch together to sleep, they can be put into a freshly Cleaned cage together. If they will sleep together they will most likely be fine together in the evening when they wake up.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders