Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
One glider eating both servings of the staple
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
10:48:26 AM
Most of the time, I see both of my gliders eating their staple and it looks like they're eating one serving each, like they're supposed to. But occasionally, one will wake up before the other and eat both servings of the staple. I've been having to take the food bowl out until the second one wakes up. But sometimes I'm not around to do that and I'm worried that one glider is getting way too much of the staple. Is this a health hazard for them?
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
12:37:55 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
It is a health hazard when a glider becomes obese. Liver problems among a host of other problems could accompany that. And then you've got the other glider not eating enough.

If you aren't around to be able to manage their feeding on their current schedule...can you get your gliders moved around to a timing that will work? Try adjusting the lighting etc. and rousing them earlier in the evening if they are really late sleepers. That way they will both be up and awake and have an equal chance at the food.

But, I find it unusual that a single glider would eat 'all' of the staple in a short amount of time. Their stomachs are so small that they don't eat much at one 'sitting', but rather tiny amounts through the night.
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
01:24:06 PM
Onelove420 Glider Visit Onelove420's Photo Album USA 89 Posts
I guess Lil eats most of the staple when she wakes up, not quite all of it. She has a huge appetite and is always begging for treats!
I've also tried manipulating when they wake up with lights, but almost every time I'll only end up waking one up and the other will still be asleep. Maybe I'll just try an put the food in as soon as both gliders are up?
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
02:42:16 PM
Blue Nostalgic Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit Blue Nostalgic's Photo Album 1422 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't sure if you meant you weren't able to wait until they were both up to put it in. But, in their case it seems like a must at this point.

I've been known to gently wake them talking to them and rubbing the pouch...then eventually giving them a little shove. They have serious bed head until they get used to it and eventually it just becomes their own routine. NOT all gliders will adjust though...just go with their own flow. Thankfully, I didn't have to fuss with my current gliders. They start rustling around at 9:15-9:30 and are popping up around 9:30-9:45. Lisle is always last...my sleepy head.

I still think something is off with Lil eating as much as she is as quickly as she is. Which diet are they on? (I often forget between different members!)
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
03:39:52 PM
They're on the gliderkids leadbeaters staple.

She's always the first one to search the cage for hidden fruits or treats, and always finds the bag of treats no matter where I hide it when I let her out to play. She's a gluttoness!
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
04:09:18 PM
Candy Cuddle Bear Visit Candy's Photo Album FL, USA 8110 Posts
Try putting the fruits and vegetables in the cage first - gliders really do have small stomachs so it would be very difficult for one glider to eat all of the staple in one sitting. If the glider is very hungry when he wakes up, he can eat the fruits and vegetables first, then an hour or so after he has eaten some of the fruits and vegetables then put the staple in the cage for both gliders. He would only be able to eat a moderate amount of the staple at first - and after the other glider has eaten he will have an opportunity to eat more of everything if he is still hungry.
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
05:09:42 PM
mallory_em4 Glider Visit mallory_em4's Photo Album 88 Posts
First off I find it kinda funny that earlier you had the issue of them NOT eating and now one is OVER eating. HEY at least the xhange has helped one.

I think that candys suggestion is great - by putting just fruit/veggies out first until they are both awake would be such a great idea

Has their schedule been changed recently? I know you said you are just now getting back to things like how they were before you moved.

I know that when changes happen my girls sleeping pattern changes a little as well. Usually after a week though of me being on a strict "this is the time you get fed (8pm)" they get used to it and the second I put their food in and say "it's dinner!" "Goodnight" and then cover their cage they are both flying outta their pouch to get their grub.

They ultimately picked the time they eat cause I would wait till I noticed them sturring around to make their food and now its become such a habit that every night 8pm on the dot they are both awake and ready for food.

My new ones I noticed seemed to have an odd feeding schedule at their previous home. They would wake up at really weird times and be starving. I would put some food in when I noticed them awake (also paying attention to the lighting cause they lived in a basement and now they have the option to get a bright room (shades opened or closed)). I also would open the shades to let even more light in so they knew it was sleeping time and then I stopped feeding during the day and stuck to the 8pm and now they wake up when I feed them.

Maybe try making it a big thing that it's dinner time, mine give me the impression that they don't want to wake up until they know I put their food in.

Food, Diet
May 13 2015
05:10:49 PM
That's a good idea! Thanks, I'll try it out tonight:)
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
05:56:56 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Gliders do weird things

All of my gliders get up way early to eat compared to what I read others do. My Ollie boy is the earliest to rise most of the time. The girls will usually soon follow, depending on what time I feed them, I try not later than six pm, sometimes all of them are out if I'm late.
Food, Diet
May 13 2015
06:35:04 PM
Oh and they were always eating their staple every night, just not their fruits and veggies lol
They have started eating more of their fruits and veggies after I took the glider kitchen out and started putting two bowls in instead of just the one. I also stopped feeding them so many treats lol. And steaming the veggies seemed to up their vegetable intake!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders